Students benefit from volunteering

University of Wisconsin students seeking to broaden their horizons beyond campus life should try volunteering, according to members of UW service organizations.

Sara Keller, president of the Chi Omega sorority, said she believes community service is a great opportunity to meet different kinds of people and experience areas of Madison outside campus.

“It’s nice to get out of our insular bubble of State Street,” Keller said. “Our community of students is so strong that it’s nice to give back to what’s around us.”

Katy Wheeler, president of the UW branch of Circle K International, the largest non-Greek collegiate service organization in the world, also referred to the UW campus as a “bubble” and agreed volunteering is a great way to break out of the campus area and meet new people.

Wheeler said she thinks UW students want to make a difference in the community but could make more of an effort to do so.

“I think university students tend to be more civically aware and want to make a difference,” Wheeler said. “It would be good for every student do something volunteer-oriented in their time here.”

According to Keller, lack of opportunity is no excuse not to become active in the community, adding there are many opportunities to serve the community in a wide variety of ways.

“It’s very accessible if you want to do it,” Keller said, adding she is offered opportunities to volunteer every week.

Wheeler said many students may get involved in community service to gain job-related experience. These students will still be able to experience the greater benefits of volunteering, she added.

“At first, students might volunteer for job experience,” Wheeler said, “but once you begin volunteering, you realize it’s really rewarding. That’s why you continue.”

Keller said she does not think job experience is a major reason students begin volunteering, but said it is a benefit of community service.

“I don’t know if it’s a motivation as much as a perk,” Keller said, adding, “In the end, you can acquire skills that can be useful in the workplace.”

Whether or not an attempt to build a resume is the motivation for becoming involved in community service, Wheeler and Keller agreed its benefits extend far beyond job-related experience.

Wheeler said meeting new people and seeing the gratitude of those she helps is motivation enough to volunteer.

“You get to see what you’re doing to improve the community,” Wheeler said.

Keller added many UW students are fortunate, and it is nice for them to give back to the community.

“We’re all so privileged to go to such a great university,” Keller said. “Not everyone out there is so privileged.”