8 men charged with beating

Eight men, including five current University of Wisconsin students, were charged in Dane County court Wednesday with the beating of another UW student.

The eight men allegedly beat Robert Hillis July 14, 2004 so badly that he required plastic surgery to rebuild his broken nose.

The men were charged with substantial battery and criminal trespass, of which substantial battery is considered a felony offense.

According to the Wisconsin State Journal, the eight men broke into Hillis’ apartment at the Embassy, 505 University Ave., where they assaulted him.

According to the criminal complaint filed in Dane County Circuit court, the eight men beat him up in retribution for an incident that had occurred earlier in a downtown bar.

According to the Wisconsin State Journal, Hillis exchanged words with the others earlier on the night of his assault. This information was related to the eight men involved in the assault who found Hillis’ at his apartment.

At the time of the crime, all eight men were UW students and they were all members of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, 237 Langdon St..

The men involved in the beating are Joshua P. Bolton, 22; Daniel P. Burke, 21; Timothy S. McCafferey, 21; Octavieus C. Manadier, 21; Gregory T. Ney, 20; John W. Nichol, 20; are all students and of Madison. Two graduates, John R. Brickley, 22, of Bloomington, Minn., and Michael A. Pucci, 23, of Milwaukee, were also involved in the fight, according to police.

Manadier did not make court appearance Wednesday and a warrant for his arrested has been issued, according to court documents.

The pre-trial conference for the attackers will be held Dec. 6.