CALS Dean announces retirement

The dean of the University of Wisconsin College of Agriculture and Life Sciences announced his retirement Monday.

Elton Aberle will retire Sept. 1, 2005, after serving the world of academia for 35 years, six of which he worked as dean.

Aberle still has a little less than 10 months remaining as dean, during which he said he will ensure several facility development projects continue on a smooth schedule.

“[There are many] important projects,” he said. “I want to move them along toward completion.”

Aberle added another of his high priorities for the upcoming months will be assisting UW and the UW System. He will aid the state legislature in developing a satisfactory university budget.

Aberle, who worked at Purdue University and the University of Nebraska prior to coming to UW, said he particularly enjoyed working with the faculty governance system in CALS.

“[UW had] a different way to administer [faculty] than I had been used to in the past. It has been a great experience,” Aberle said. “One of the things I enjoyed most here was the opportunity to work with a really talented group of faculty and staff members.”

One of his most important accomplishments as dean, Aberle said, was his devotion to reestablishing strong working relationships with constituents and agriculture groups across Wisconsin.

Aberle added he enjoyed the quality alumni of UW compared to other schools.

“One of the things I appreciate the most about campus and [CALS] is the great loyalty and enthusiasm of the alumni,” he said. “They have been very supportive and enjoyable to work with.”

Aberle said he does not have any definitive retirement plans, but he will likely stay in Madison and take time for family and other personal interests.

UW Chancellor John Wiley said Aberle is known for his leadership and efforts to bring scientific research to UW, according to a release.

“[Aberle’s] leadership has been indispensable at a time when we’ve tried to leverage new ways to connect with the [agribusiness] industry and find new sources of research funding,” Wiley said.

While Aberle was dean, the federal funding awarded to CALS rose from $30 million to $65 million annually, according to the release.