Wray accepts position as police chief

After lengthy deliberations over the past six months, the Police and Fire Commission selected current Acting Police Chief Noble Wray as the city of Madison’s Police Chief Thursday night.

Following a brief closed-session meeting, the committee publicly announced their selection. The other candidates in consideration were Capt. Cheri Maples and Sgt. Mike Koval.

The unanimous decision took time due to committee member John Talis’s reservations to approve Wray as chief. Since last Wednesday’s meeting, Talis joined the other members of the PFC in support of selecting Wray as chief.

In a concurring statement, Talis wrote, “There can be no doubt (as the votes of my colleagues show) that a reasonable person could conclude that he is the candidate best qualified to serve as chief of the Madison Police Department.”

Wray, who has been acting chief since former Chief Richard Williams’ retirement in April 2004, accepted the PFC’s decision.

“Following a rigorous examination process, the Police and Fire Commission has appointed Noble Wray as police chief,” committee member Michael Lawton announced to a full room of reporters, police officers and city officials.

After applause, Wray thanked his family for the support throughout his past six months as acting chief.

“It’s been a long process, as you’re all aware, and I could not be here without the support of my family,” Wray said.

Wray also thanked the support of the PFC and the Madison Police Department.

“I extend a thank you to the Police and Fire Commission because it is imperative that we meet as a citizen body [to decide these things] because we need that important input,” Wray said.

Wray said if either Maples or Koval had been selected over him, he would have stood behind them with the fullest support.

Wray said his focus for the next week will be on creating a safe Halloween weekend. He also highlighted an initiative he plans to launch following Halloween.

Wray proposed a “Trust Base Policing” initiative that is an “evolution of police relationships.” Wray said he wishes to establish a firm trust in the MPD and seal the gap between citizens and officers.

Wray added he has heard community members express doubt over trusting the police department. This is something he wishes to challenge as police chief, he said.

Despite these possible challenges in the foreseeable future, Wray expressed elation at being selected.

“My emotions have been going up and down. I became acting chief during the Audrey Seiler case, and now I’ll take over as chief during Halloween,” Wray said with a smile. “But I never had any reservations in wanting to do the job.”

Wray has been employed with the MPD since 1984 after receiving a bachelor of science from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee in criminal justice.

“In his sixth months as acting chief, he’s shown commendable leadership through such difficult issues as the Audrey Sieler case and Halloween planning,” Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said in a release.