Camejo calls both parties into question

[media-credit name=’Ben Smidt’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Camejo_BS_400[/media-credit]Peter Camejo, running mate of independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader in the upcoming election, addressed a small crowd in Madison on Friday. Several dozen students came to the Humanities building to hear him outline his problems with the Democratic campaign, arguing they have no essential differences with the Republicans.

"Kerry is Bush with a brain in his head," Camejo said. He said if elected, the Kerry campaign would not change what is being done, but just talk about how they would do it.

Camejo sought to illustrate how the Nader campaign is set apart from the Kerry campaign.

He said the Nader campaign believes the war is wrong and wishes to withdraw troops immediately. This contrasts with Kerry's plan to find another way to handle the Iraq situation, he added.

"The Nader campaign is so important," Camejo said, referring to the lack of difference between Kerry and Bush. "Someone has to attack the premises that Bush puts out."

In 1976 Camejo ran for President as a Socialist and more recently he has run twice for Governor of California. He still has ties with the International Socialist Organization and speaks at their events.

The former California gubernatorial candidate told the crowd that oil interests shape the world economy. The Bush administration has faced criticism for backing corporations and for having led the U.S. to war in pursuit of oil. Camejo said he thinks Kerry is no different in that respect.

"These two parties do not represent the people of the United States, they represent a whole different interest," Camejo said.

He also talked about the problems that former Green party candidate Nader has had in getting on the ballots in many states. Camejo blames both the Republicans and the Democrats for this and insists their lawsuits and denials are impinging on the democratic freedom of the country.

The Nader campaign has received some criticism for receiving money from Republicans hoping to derail Kerry. Camejo shot down this accusation by pointing out Kerry's campaign most likely receives more money from Republicans and big corporations who want access if Kerry is elected.

Camejo maintained a liberal stance on other issues in his speech, such as gay marriage and the PATRIOT Act. He said he believes the PATRIOT Act is unconstitutional and a complete infringement on the rights of citizens. Camejo also said sexual orientation is not something a person chooses so marriage should not be denied to anyone.

Many of Camejo's statements were met with cheers and enthusiastic applause from the students attending.

"It was very moving," UW student Abi Scott said. "What impressed me the most was that he was able to attack the big issues and stand strong."