Mayor releases city budget

Tuesday, Mayor Dave Cieslewicz introduced his $192.5 million 2005 operating budget for the city of Madison. His proposal is not only designed to primarily protect city services, but also to limit the amount of spending increases.

The 2005 budget cannot afford the addition of new initiatives or plans because there is little money to work with and main current city services are necessary, according to the mayor’s spokeswoman Melanie Conklin. She added that even without making cuts in the budget, taxes do go up.

“This is a let’s-protect-our-basic-services kind of budget,” Conklin said.

With little money to spend in the city’s coffers, other statewide factors are affecting taxes in Madison.

For average houses in Madison, property taxes would increase $82 under the 2005 budget. According to a release, city taxes are increasing 5.4 percent because of “flat state aids.” The 5.4 percent increase is lower than average increases over the last 15 years, according to the release.

The city also does not face multimillion-dollar cuts from the state, as it did last year, according to The Capital Times.

Despite a tax increase, Conklin said the mayor is hopeful about the new budget despite limitations.

“The public investments we make in Madison have paid off. We have the healthiest economy in the state and one of the most vibrant in the nation,” Cieslewicz said in a release. “I strongly believe that protecting public services will keep Madison healthy and preserve our high quality of life, our vibrant neighborhoods and our strong economy.”

The projected budget looks to improve areas in public safety, economic development, commitment to arts, culture and recreation, focus on diversity and justice and investment in the future.

Additions from last year’s budget proposed for next year include the funding of a Civil Rights Department director and an alcohol policy coordinator, or “bar czar.” The alcohol policy coordinator will work as a liaison to improve communication with management at local bars and restaurants, according to a release.

Conklin said this position has ties to both city government and the University of Wisconsin and decisions and policies made will affect students.

The budget also includes funding for a new east district police station in late 2005, a new northeast fire station in August and the addition of eight new police officers in January.

Other main components of the mayor’s proposal include $30,000 to fund five new neighborhood parks opening in 2005 and $500,000 to help fund Madison’s first municipal pool.

Cieslewicz also plans to finance $50,000 to educate the public on the city switch to single-stream recycling program and $2.4 million to cover the anticipated 2 percent city employee wage increases.

“These services make Madison a great place to live — student, resident or both,” Conklin said.
For students, city services are vital for transportation across campus and out of the downtown area, according to Conklin.

“Preserving the metro service is a part of the budget and students are great transit users,” Conklin said. “We had [many] metro service cuts purposed but the mayor did not cut any of those.”

Particular student interest for the 2005 budget includes the long away completion of the missing link bike path. This path link will connect the South West Capitol City path and the John Nolen bike path.

“It will be that final piece that links bike paths going through central Madison,” Conklin added.

The budget will also fund the work for the 2005 increase in minimum wage.

“While not all students are working at minimum wage this will certainly bump up the entire wage scale,” Conklin said.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he reviewed the mayor’s budget Tuesday, adding it “seemed like a very reasonable budget … at first glance.” Verveer said students do in fact pay property taxes through rent, but thought the increase in the property tax was accounted for.

“I do think that the increase of the property tax burden on Madison citizens is fairly consistent with the rate of inflation and growth of the city.”