SSFC hears opening requests

[media-credit name=’Allison Welch’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]ottenkevin_aw_400[/media-credit]Two organizations presented their 2005-06 budget requests to the Student Services Finance Committee Monday night in the first of this fall’s funding hearings.

After a minor procedural rule change, Dane County Rape Crisis Center requested $43,466 from the SSFC, which would fund crisis intervention and education outreach on campus. The funding would also fund 5 percent of campus counselors’ pay, said Anderson.

Vets for Vets was the second group, requesting $32,282. SSFC funding keeps Vets for Vets functioning by paying for salaries and operation costs.

Vets for Vets is a service organization providing benefit information for military veterans and members of the National Guard and Reserves, according to advisor Chuck Goranson.

“Benefits get incredibly complicated,” Goranson said. “We know the ins and outs to … squeeze out every nickel [for veterans].”

Goranson said an estimated $10 to 20 million have been earned for military veterans since its inception during the Vietnam conflict.

The Rape Crisis Center is a community-wide organization, which, among other services, offers round-the-clock assistance to victims of sexual assault. It retains a large presence on campus because it is such a prevalent issue for students, according to executive director Kelly Anderson.

“[Sexual assault is an] issue we only have surface awareness of in our society,” Anderson said, adding the center attempts to act as an agent of social change.

The Rape Crisis Center received $40,050 for the 2004-05 budget, while Vets for Vets received $32,282.

Debate and a decision on Monday night’s budget proposals will be held during SSFC’s meeting Thursday night. Two more groups will also present their budgets during that meeting — the Multi-Cultural Student Coalition and the Adventure Leadership Program, SSFC chair Janell Wise said at the end of the meeting.

SSFC vice-chair Kevin Otten said he believed this year is off to a good start.

“We had a two-day training [period for committee members], which has never been done before,” Otten said, noting so far the process has been less formal, less intimidating and more professional and pleasant.