UW instructor dies after hit-and-run accident

A University of Wisconsin faculty member died Tuesday after a hit-and-run accident on the Madison east side.

UW pianist and instructor John Gesinski, 63, was leaving the Sentry grocery store on Cottage Grove Road when he was hit on the crosswalk in the parking lot, according to a Madison Police Department press release.

After knocking down Gesinski, the driver continued and turned right onto Vernon Avenue.

The driver is described as being a male in his 20s or 30s, white or Hispanic, wearing light-blue pants and shirt, according to the release.

Gesinski was taken to University Hospital and treated for severe injuries, according to police. He later died due to complications.

Following the accident, police found the suspect’s vehicle two blocks away. The driver was not found and is still at large, the release stated. The case is currently under investigation.

“Everyone couldn’t believe that it happened. We’re all so sad over this event,” said Jin-Wen Yu, chair of the UW dance program. “Nowadays it isn’t that easy to find a really good musician for ballet.”

Gesinski was with the UW dance program for 30 years and worked with Ballet Madison and other Madison studios, according to Yu. Although legally blind and sight-impaired, Gesinski was devoted to the dance program.

UW senior Kristi Eastwood took several ballet classes and knew Gesinski. She said his involvement with the dance program was memorable.

Since he played accompaniment, students used live music instead of a CD or tape for their dancing.

“Having a piano accompaniment was perfect for what we were dancing to, it always worked better than a CD,” Eastwood said. “When he was playing he would have his eyes closed. He seemed to love what he doing and was always a pleasure to have in class.”

Yu expressed sentiment over the dance program’s loss.

“Everyone here is upset because he really provided music and taught music. He was a very special instructor for the students,” Yu said.

Gesinski’s character left impressions on those involved in the dance program, Yu said.

“He had a wonderful personality and all the students and instructors really liked him a lot,” Yu said. “He was quite involved in the dance community and people loved him, especially since he was with the dance program for so long.”

Eastwood agreed.

“He was pleasant and always happy to be there,” Eastwood said.