Kerry rally changes location to Alliant Center

Although Sheryl Crow will perform when Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry visits Madison today, he won’t be soaking up the sun.

The rally, originally planned for downtown on Capitol Square, was moved to the Alliant Energy Center Monday. When Kerry campaign officials, “had to make the decision, there was an 80 percent chance of rain,” College Democrats chair Liz Sanger said.

Free buses will be available for University of Wisconsin students to ride to and from the event.

Buses will be leaving between 10:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. from the Memorial Union and the corner of West Washington and Carroll Streets. Bus rides back to the campus area will also be available immediately following the rally.

Sanger said she hopes the change in venue will not affect student turnout at the rally.

“Our hope is that students will be excited enough about the event to take the extra five minutes to go out,” Sanger said.

In addition to the Kerry speech and Crow musical performance, several local and state politicians and celebrities are expected to speak, according to Sanger.

Although the Kerry campaign would not confirm any of the speakers, a source close to the campaign said rumors were circulating that Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle and recent Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong, who is currently dating Crow, would speak.

Sanger said their goal is to hold one of the largest rallies in the history of Wisconsin politics.

“We expect a huge group of students, labor unions and community [members],” she said. “It will be packed.”

But Kerry should not expect to be welcomed by all students at UW.

College Republicans chair Nicole Marklein said Kerry’s visit to Madison shows signs of weakness in his presidential campaign.

“If you’re a Democratic candidate, you have to come to your base — a Democratic [city like] Madison — [but] it shows you might not be doing as well as you could be,” Marklein said, adding she is not worried about the large number expected for the rally because she claims most will already be Kerry supporters.

Marklein said Crow’s performance is “kind of a gimmick to turn out more people.”

However, she said, “If that’s a tactic to reach out to young voters, that’s fine.”

Sanger said she feels the Kerry campaign has made the college student vote a major focus this year and that student volunteer participation is “crucial to winning the state of Wisconsin for Kerry.”

Sanger said Kerry has suggested policy proposals for young people, such as more affordable tuition and alternatives to college.

“It will be inspiring to see [Kerry] in person,” she said, adding she is looking forward to “my only opportunity to see the future president of the United States.”