End of hip-hop in Madison?

While out-of-the-ordinary acts of violence continue on isolated occasions, special hip-hop music events and declared nights at downtown venues are being canceled. Adding irony to the situation, City Council President Mike Verveer notes the same person being involved on both occasions.

A fight broke out at the King Club on 114 King Street at around 1 a.m. April 18, resulting in nearly $2,000 worth of damage.

“Hip-hop has lost yet another venue due to violence,” City Council President Mike Verveer said.

According to the Capital Times, a fight broke out between two women inside the bar, who were then escorted from the premises. After King Club closed, a group of about 50 people got into a fight outside the bar.

Altwan D. Cross also threw a metal stanchion, used to form lines going into the club, through the front window, shattering the glass.

King Club owner Shannon Sweeney hired Madison Security to oversee the safety of customers attending events at the club. Two of the guards on duty that night were subjected to the violence.

Ron Champeau, owner of Madison Security, was punched repeatedly, leaving him with five stitches in his left eye.

Champeau said he thought the brother of one of the women involved in the fight inside the bar punched him, the Capital Times reported.

Another guard, Scott Wilson, was also punched and kicked, but received no wounds.

“The further irony is that the guy accused of offending hip-hop at two other venues has been accused and charged with criminal damage to property, obstructing an officer and resisting arrest in this incident,” Verveer said.

Cross was allegedly responsible for ending hip-hop nights at the Annex on Regent Street last year because he was involved in a fight. Several days later he was accused of shooting out the window of Stillwaters Bar on State Street after fighting inside. He was acquitted because there were no witnesses.

Verveer explained King Club has been around for several years and has never experienced any kinds of problems like this.

“I think it’s sad yet another hip-hop venue has shut its doors to that style of music all because a very tiny percentage of bad actors caused problems,” Verveer said.

University of Wisconsin students who listen to this style of music are sad to hear venues are no longer offering hip-hop nights because of violence.

UW freshman Shira Moyer was disappointed to hear local hotspots would no longer host hip-hop nights due to such problems. Moyer explained she thought it was a shame such a small group of people shed a negative light on the population of hip-hop listeners.

“There are a number of people who listen to this type of music, and it’s sad that bars no longer want to hold hip-hop events,” Moyer said.