LGBT community observes Day of Silence

Instead of Madisonians facing what would normally be noisy classrooms and other loud corners on campus, students were treated to the sound of silence.

The quiet was due to hundreds of University of Wisconsin students supporting a nationwide college tradition of the “Day of Silence.”

The Day of Silence, which started in 1996 at the University of Virginia, began to encourage discussion and awareness of issues facing the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. The project is said to spotlight various concerns, but especially those of harassment, prejudice and discrimination committed against the LGBT community. The LGBT Campus Center, various student groups, University Health Services and the Dean of Students Office sponsored UW’s Day of Silence.

Flyers handed out throughout campuses across the country stated the day of silence echoes the silence many of these important issues endure a daily basis across hundreds of college towns.

Nicholas Sakurai, director of LGBT student empowerment project at the United States Student Association, said more than 640 college campuses participated in the activist day, adding that the literal silence of thousands of students was not as important as the fact that the event took place.

“There’s more willingness to have a debate; [there’s] this sort of heightened discussion and heightened openness,” Sakurai said. Though he said this dialogue should be considered a good thing, some retaliatory action by “homophobes” takes place. “But, with that openness, [sometimes] comes a backlash.”

Sakurai said he has witnessed firsthand or heard of accounts of LGBT community members facing property damage, physical abuse or, more often, verbal assaults on individuals. Sakurai added he has personally had death threats due to his activist work.

He also pointed to an FBI study that found more than 1,000 LGBT students at 14 “more-LGBT-friendly” campuses reported harassment.

“The Day of Silence is a great tool [to bring light of these issues],” Sakurai said.

Though harassment and abuse definitely tops many campus agendas, Sakurai added many LGBT students around the nation have concerns about safe and accessible bathrooms, ask for housing specifically for LGBT students and LGBT-related minors or majors.

UW senior Lisa Stephenson, an ally of the LGBT community, said she was well aware of the Day of Silence Project, and also believes it brings necessary attention to concerns surrounding the lifestyle. Stephenson related stories of some of her gay friends who have felt threatened walking holding hands at bar time. Stephenson said allies and LGBT students wearing “Day of Silence” t-shirts opened themselves up in a non-offensive way for any one with questions, continuing to say ignorance on students’ behalf is a large portion of the problem.

“People choose to be biased or homophobic,” she said. Stephenson also added she felt the UW administration could do more to ensure students are educated about LGBT issues and to answer lifestyle questions.

“I’m sure they don’t know what to do on a large scale, but it’d be nice if there was more support from [UW administrators],” Stephenson said.