Mayor on board for smoking ban

Banning smoking in the workplace was brought to the city of Madison’s attention last February and has since remained a controversial issue among residents, students, employees and business owners, all of who met Wednesday to discuss effects of the ban with the Public Health Commission. The proposed ban has created uncertainty about what may happen to the local economy if the ordinance went into effect.

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz announced Wednesday he supports the smoking ban proposed by Ald. Steve Holtzman, District 19.

Many University Of Wisconsin students such as Gayathri Vijayakumar and Nate Altfeather have been strong advocates of Smoke Free Madison and are thrilled the mayor is officially on board.

Holtzman was complimentary of the student’s efforts. He explained this issue was huge for student activists because it was all a result of their petition.

“It was the persuasive argument of the students that brought the issue to the city’s attention.”

Vijayakumar explained last semester she took an air pollution class in which Dr. Pat Remington, a doctor in Madison, discussed the consequences of secondhand smoke. At the end of class he asked students in attendance who wanted the bars to be smoke-free, and everyone in the class raised their hand.

Vijayakumar and Altfeather along with a group of fellow students decided they wanted to make smoke-free Madison a reality. They teamed up with The Smoke Free Madison Organization, a group of residents, students and employees who support 100 percent smoke-free environments.

“We started doing a petition campaign and made students aware by passing out flyers and sending out postcards,” Vijayakumar said.

Holtzman said opponents of the ordinance complain such a ban will negatively impact the local economy.

He explained people have a negative impression of what may happen, but there are five other states that have completely banned smoking and it has not affected the economy negatively. In some cases it has actually increased revenues.

He said in New York, which went smoke free March 29, 2003 there has been an 8 percent increase in revenues after the ban.

Similarly, in El Paso, Tex., the ban has been in affect for two years and the economy demonstrates increases. According to Vijayakumar, the number of smokers went down as well.

“The smoking bans have always been good for business,” Holtzman said.

“It bothers me that it gets turned into an economy thing,” Altfeather said. “When do you start saying that this is more expensive than human life.”

Dawn Berney is also a member of the Smoke Free Madison Organization.

“People who work in an environment where smoking is permitted have a 34 percent greater likelihood of getting lung cancer and a much greater chance of getting heart disease,” Berney said.

She explained people have to remember it is a public-health issue. She said 1,200 people in Wisconsin die each year from exposure to secondhand smoke.

She also said if a ban is put on smoking in public places it would not stop people from going to restaurants and bars.

“People said when they stopped letting you smoke in an airplane people were going to stop flying,” Berney said, “…and that didn’t happen.”

The Public Health Commission met Wednesday night to discuss its research results and plan for the upcoming City Council vote, which will determine the fate of smoking in downtown bars.