Police offer more details about missing UW student

A press conference was held Tuesday at Monona Terrace regarding missing University of Wisconsin sophomore Audrey Ruth Seiler, 20, of Rockford, Minn.

“Audrey knows how much we love her. We are confident and determined we will find her,” Scott Seiler, Audrey’s uncle, said at the press conference, adding if the right person sees the press conference, more details may surface.

A security camera recorded Seiler leaving her apartment building, The Regent, alone around 2:30 a.m. Saturday.

Capt. Luis Yudice said it is strange no one saw Seiler after this, since she exited onto a busy street where many students were out because the bars had just closed. Her uncle said while viewing the surveillance tape, it looks as if Audrey is looking at something or someone.

The last person to speak with Seiler was a friend on the telephone. Police are not releasing specific details of the nature of the conversation.

“There was no cause for concern,” Yudice said regarding Seiler’s last phone conversation.

Police are also investigating the role of the Internet in Seiler’s disappearance, although it has not yielded any conclusions so far, according to Yudice.

Yudice said because of an attack on Seiler in February, there was “heightened concern” about her whereabouts and a sense of “urgency” to find her. He said police have not established a connection between the incident and the disappearance and characterized the two incidents as “unusual.”

Seiler was attacked Feb. 1 while walking home around 12:45 a.m. While walking on the 10 block of South Randall Street, she was struck in the head from behind, leaving her unconscious. She later regained consciousness behind a building on Bowen Court. She reported nothing was stolen from her purse and received no other injuries beyond the head injury, which was treated at a local hospital.

Scott Seiler said after the Feb. 1 incident, Audrey was concerned, but felt she was ready to move forward. Her uncle described her as “determined” and “practical” and was more careful to walk with friends after the attack. He said the incident was concluded to be completely random.

Police would not confirm any details about Seiler’s interview with police after she was attacked Feb. 1.

Yudice answered several questions regarding the possibility of a stalker and said there is no information leading police to believe anyone was following Seiler. The family said they knew of no one who had been following her.

“We will devote the appropriate police resources for as long as necessary,” Yudice said at the press conference, adding there are about 24 investigators searching for Seiler.

Yudice said police have interviewed many known local sex offenders who are “people of interest” regarding Seiler’s disappearance. He said police are aware of where the offenders reside, but since there are “several hundred” sex offenders throughout the city, they have not interviewed all of them.

“We have not determined if a crime has been committed,” Yudice said, adding Seiler leaving on her own free will is still a possibility. Presently, there are no suspects in the case.

The FBI was called Monday to assist with the investigation. Yudice said they were called to “offer a different perspective” and “see things we may have missed.” They were also called to provide local police departments with resources not otherwise available in Madison.

Police have searched all the isolated areas of Madison, such as parks, as is common practice in missing persons cases, according to Yudice.

He said airplanes, boats and dog teams, as well as people, have been used to try to locate Seiler. He said most missing persons are usually located within 48 hours.

Yudice said although Madison is a highly and densely populated city, it is among the safest in the nation. The particular neighborhood where Seiler resided is not considered to be unsafe by any means, he said.

Keith Seiler, Audrey’s father, briefly addressed the press, giving thanks to the police and family and friends who have helped search for his daughter. Her father said he remains “hopeful and confident that we will find Audrey safe.”

Her father described her as a “non-drinker” and “not a partier” and said she studies a lot. “She is very focused on academics,” he said.

Audrey was said to have spoken with her family on the phone within a day of her disappearance.

She was last seen wearing an oversized burgundy Abercrombie and Fitch hooded sweatshirt, navy blue sweatpants and either white flip flops or tennis shoes.

The door to Seiler’s apartment was left open and her cell phone and purse were both left in her room. There was also a book on her bed, leading police to believe she had been studying.

Seiler has been registered on a national computer database that will label her as a missing person if she is seen or located in any other states.

Anyone who knows where Seiler is, or has seen her, should contact the Madison Area Crime Stoppers at 266-6014.