Search for missing student continues

The search for missing University of Wisconsin sophomore Audrey Ruth Seiler continued Monday after her disappearance at about 2:30 a.m. Saturday. Seiler, who is from Rockford, Minn., was last seen at The Regent, her apartment building, where she was studying for the night.

“She wasn’t the type to wander off,” Seiler’s father, Keith Seiler, said Sunday. “She is a great kid.”

Seiler was attacked in February while walking home late one weekend night. While walking on the 10 block of South Randall Street, she was struck in the head from behind, leaving her unconscious. She later regained consciousness behind a building on Bowen Court. She reported nothing was stolen from her purse and received no other injuries beyond the head injury, which was treated at a local hospital.

Her father described her as a “non-drinker” and “not a partier,” and said she studies a lot.

“She is very focused on academics,” Keith said of his daughter, who is a communication disorders and speech pathology major.

Friends of the family described her behavior as “very unusual.”

“It looked like she was going to be returning shortly,” Keith said, adding the door to her apartment was open and her cell phone and purse were both left in her room. He said there was also a book on her bed, leading them to believe she had been studying.

Keith said his daughter has a roommate, but she was gone the night of the disappearance.

She was last seen wearing an oversized burgundy Abercrombie and Fitch hooded sweatshirt, navy blue sweatpants and either white flip flops or tennis shoes.

Friends became concerned Saturday afternoon when Seiler did not come to a friend’s house like she was planning.

According to The Wisconsin State Journal, investigators said a surveillance camera captured Seiler leaving The Regent alone, but did not comment on other findings from the tape.

The university held a press conference Monday in Bascom Hall.

“We are concerned and saddened by the disappearance of Audrey Seiler and our hearts go out to her family and friends,” Peter Spear, UW provost, said at the conference.

“Chancellor Wiley and I want to assure you that the university is doing everything it can to assist the Seiler family and to aid the investigation of campus and city of Madison police. We are also calling on the university community to come together to provide police with any information that might be helpful in their investigation,” Spear said.

The university also issued an e-mail to all students asking for help in finding the missing student.

Officer Shannon Blackamore said the family is offering a reward for anyone who has information on Seiler’s whereabouts.

Friends of the family have traveled from Rockford, Minn. to help search for Seiler. They have distributed hundreds of flyers around campus and surrounding areas and went door to door in residence halls Sunday asking for help.

A search group put together by friends of the family searched Lakeshore Path at 6:45 a.m. Monday.

Blackamore said anyone who knows where Seiler is or has seen her should contact the Madison Area Crime stoppers at 266-6014.

The university has also set up a website, www.findaudrey.wisc.edu, with updated information on the case.