Chancellor chats over cookies

University of Wisconsin Chancellor John Wiley and a small group of students discussed campus and community issues such as renovations and tuition, diversity, international-student admission and what it is like to be the chancellor of UW over cookies and milk Monday night at the Memorial Union.

Wiley stressed the responsibility and impact that students have in the Madison community. He advocated student voting in the upcoming public school-board election, volunteering, campus safety and acceptance of minorities.

Wiley enthusiastically described plans for campus-wide renovations coordinating with the East Campus Plan, particularly a new Humanities building and the Murray Street pedestrian mall. The Murray Street pedestrian mall will be a gathering place for the community and include an arts district after completion of the multimillion-dollar campus transformation.

Students voiced their concerns over rising tuition and its correlation to renovation spending, which Wiley denounced.

“We don’t have a budget crisis,” Wiley said, describing the differences in income to UW.

Wiley explained that renovation funding would not deplete “base funds” or money for faculty and tuition aid. Donors choose where their money is to be placed, and some feel the base budget should solely come from the state. Wiley explained that many donors favor donating to new renovations or research.

UW junior Adam Frank said he felt that diversity problems are huge at UW and will only increase with tuition hikes.

“Whenever you are pushing people off the bubble or narrowing in, you are going to decrease diversity,” Frank said before the dialogue.

Wiley recognized the “image problem” for minorities at UW and urged students to work together to make them feel comfortable, adding he did not see noticeable decreases in diversity at UW.

Wiley also said the Patriot Act was also a topic of concern, stating the legislation is the cause of the falling number of international students applying to UW.

“This is a colossal problem for the country,” Wiley said.

Wiley added UW relies on international students to enrich UW departments, especially the science and engineering programs.

Wiley closed the meeting with details of his job and life. He said being a chancellor entails working 24-hour days in the public eye. Although he travels about 25 percent of the year, he always welcomes student comments and e-mails. Students may catch a word with him on cigarette breaks outside Bascom Hall or via e-mail.

The Cookies and Milk Series is presented by the Wisconsin Union Directorate Community Service and Contemporary Issues Committees.

“[The Cookies and Milk Series] is a place where students can come and ask questions and where they can find out answers they may not other wise be able to find out,” said Abbie Wood, social-education coordinator for the community-services committee at WUD. The series invites university and state officials who work with issues pertaining to students. The mayor of Madison, Dave Cieslewicz, previously met with students, and the next Cookies and Milk event will be held April 17 at 7 p.m. with UW Dean of Students Luoluo Hong.