Wisconsin students studying abroad in Madrid safe after terrorist blasts

The University of Wisconsin has confirmed all Madison campus students accounted for and not injured in a series of 10 terrorist bombs that ripped through a commuter train in Madrid, Spain, killing more than 190 people and leaving more than 1,400 people injured.

All of the 120 UW students in Spain, including the 43 students studying in Madrid, are safe, associate dean of international studies Joan Raducha said.

“The important part is they’re all safe … they’ve all been in touch with their families … and they have all been in touch with [UW] faculty.”

A UW faculty member in Madrid was also uninjured in the attack.

Raducha said the time of the attacks was a major reason why many students were not on the commuter train when the bombs exploded.

“It was not a time … students would [typically] travel,” Raducha said, adding the attack occurred during the morning rush hour.

Raducha also said the train was heading into Madrid and away from the downtown district, a route students normally would not take.

Raducha also said the U.S. State Department warned students of using the commuter rail or gathering in crowded areas for the short term; however, U.S. officials did not issue a travel warning for any part of Spain.

Jon Pevehouse, a political-science professor specializing in international relations, said a continuing threat of terrorism in Spain would probably not affect international travel into the country.

“Spain is not traditionally an area of concern,” Pevehouse said, adding warnings restricting travel, and therefore study-abroad opportunities, would probably not be issued in the near future. “I’d be surprised if they did.”

UW junior Robert Wargolet III’s friend and roommate, Robert Krecak, is now studying abroad in Madrid and could not be reached immediately after the blasts.

“I called him probably four times,” Wargolet said, recalling that he called because he and his friends were worried about Krecak, who regularly uses the train to get around the Spanish city.

Wargolet contacted Krecak on his cell phone more than 12 hours after the attacks. He found out that Krecak was still asleep when the blasts occurred.

“I was worried, but I guess I was being optimistic,” Wargolet said, adding that he never felt that his friend was in danger. Wargolet found out later the train was not one Krecak would take on an average school day.

Krecak told Wargolet he was still going to use the train because, “[Krecak] wasn’t going to worry about it.”

“If the trains shut down, he would’ve been screwed, because that’s how he gets around.”

Krecak’s family visited him in Madrid over spring break, where Wargolet reported Krecak’s father took the same attitude of relative safety in Spain.

The attackers of the commuter train are still unknown. The attack is the worst act of terrorism in Spain’s history.