“Corpus Christi” draws criticism

The controversial play “Corpus Christi” will open tomorrow at the Bartell Theater, sparking protests from opponents to the production. Written by Terrence McNally in 1998, the play portrays a boy named Joshua, a character symbolic of Jesus Christ. He is presumably a homosexual man.

The American Society for the Defense of Tradition, Family and Property, a Catholic-based organization out of Hanover, Penn., is conducting a legal and peaceful protest in front of the Bartell Theater tomorrow from 6 to 8 p.m. Protestors will hold a prayer vigil and hold placards stating the Church’s views against the play.

“‘Corpus Christi’ is an offense against Almighty God, therefore our protest takes on the character of reparation,” protest director Robert Ritchie said.

He explained the Church defines homosexuality as a sin, and to portray Jesus Christ as a homosexual is false.

“The true Jesus was pure and sacred,” Ritchie said. “He had no part in sin.”

According to Artistic Director Thomas McClurg of Stage Q Theater Productions, Joshua is merely accused of being gay but no tangible proof is given. It can only be inferred, he said.

“No where does Jesus say he loves men,” McClurg said. “He loves all people. Over and over the play emphasizes God’s love for all people’s uniqueness.”

McClurg said he could understand why protestors could see the play as offensive, saying it presents issues that pull away from their traditional views.

“It makes them feel uncomfortable, it is not the vanilla God that they are used to,” McClurg said, adding Madison may have been chosen for this play because there are a large number of Catholics in the area.

McClurg said the play was received without protest in both Michigan and Tennessee.

McClurg said when the play showed in New York in 1998, the group who will protest tomorrow caused show delays.

Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz has received somewhere between two to three thousand mass produced post cards protesting the play, according to his communication director, Melanie Conklin.

“The more postcards we received, the more curious he [the mayor] got to see what the play was all about,” Conklin said.

Cieslewicz and City Council President Mike Verveer are planning on attending tomorrow night’s opening performance.

“No matter what the topic, he is not going to shut it down,” Conklin said. “It’s theater and the first amendment right.”

McClurg said the protests have positively affected ticket sales. People began to buy season tickets for Stage Q productions as soon as the protesting started to make sure they could see the play. Cieslewicz was the first to buy tickets, according to McClurg.

“It’s been phenomenal,” McClurg said. “Sales have been brisk. Opening weekend is sold out, and next weekend is getting close to sold out.”

Conklin said she also thinks the protests have perpetuated ticket sales.

The Madison Police Department is preparing for the protesting and will be in attendance. Stage Q has also hired two off-duty policemen to work the first two nights of the show.