ASM has open seats to fill in spring election

The Associated Students of Madison, the student government at the University of Wisconsin, will be holding online elections starting March 30 and ending April 1. Thirty-one Student Council seats and three seats for the Student Services Finance Committee, the segregated-fee-governance body, are open. The deadline for applications to be added to the Internet ballot is Friday, Feb. 27. Applications and campaign rules can be found on ASM’s website, asm.wisc.edu.

Any student currently enrolled may run for a seat on SSFC, and every school, college and graduate program has open seats on Student Council.

Austin Evans, Student Council chair, encourages students to declare candidacy and vote in ASM elections.

“It’s very important to represent the student body,” Evans said in a phone interview, adding that he also believes these elections are important for student democracy.

ASM has been on UW’s campus for 10 years, and last semester’s elections garnered many student votes.

Completed candidacy-declaration forms should be returned to Marissa Courey’s box in room 511 of the Memorial Union by noon Friday. ASM is also seeking paid election poll workers to work in March and the first day of April. Those interested should contact Courey by e-mail at [email protected] or phone at 265-4276.