Controversy surrounds alleged Boulder sex parties

University of Colorado-Boulder’s Board of Regents is meeting to discuss allegations that Boulder’s campus football program used sex parties to recruit players. Although university officials have denied the allegations, Colorado Gov. Bill Owens suggested an investigation to save the university’s integrity.

Colorado president Elizabeth Hoffman is investigating the claims made against the football players. Owens and Hoffman met last week to discuss a plan of action.

“President Hoffman has assured me that Chancellor Byyny has been investigating this matter in depth and made substantial changes over the course of the past several years. I appreciate the efforts that President Hoffman and the CU Board of Regents have made to meet next week in a special meeting to address these charges,” Owens said in a Colorado release.

Three UC-Boulder football players have been accused of rape in recent years. Each of the three victims has sued the university, accusing it of encouraging an environment that condones the harassment and victimization of women. They also claim the university is in violation of Title IX of the coeducation amendments of 1972, which prohibit gender discrimination in educational programs.

Some students at UC-Boulder feel that while the allegations against the football players are serious, the university has been quick to address these issues and there is little for students to worry about.

“Well, I think we’re all really aware of what’s happened, and students are a little embarrassed by it. It’s an important issue, but we know that the school is taking care of it, so there isn’t much to discuss,” UC-Boulder sophomore Rachel Vanni said. “Some of the football players have been put on probation. It’s not like nothing is being done.”

While Gov. Owens has urged the university to reassure female students on campus, some of these students do not feel the need for reassurance.

“I’m not concerned about the issue of rape … I don’t feel particularly threatened. The allegations about sex parties have involved renting strippers and prostitutes. My girlfriends and I still feel safe on campus,” Vanni said.

The University of Wisconsin plans extensive visits for its recruits to ensure they get a good sense of what life is like as a student athlete on campus.

“Recruits come in on organized visits. We meet with the parents; we bring professors in and discuss academic rigors,” said Doug Tiedt, assistant director of academic services in the UW athletic department. “We try to explain the demands of being an athlete and a student at the same time. The recruits look at the facilities. It’s very well supervised.”

It is unclear if football players, or other athletes, are more likely to sexually assault their peers than other students.

“There are 118 football players — that’s a large number of people. With a large number of people, there is an increased likelihood of problem,” Tiedt said. “Are they singled out? I don’t know. We have educational programs that are mandatory. Just recently athletes were required to attend a presentation called Sex Signals, which dealt with sexual assault.”

According to Life Skills Coordinator Mike Moss, roughly 400 UW student athletes attended Sex Signals last Tuesday.

“Students from all different sports attended,” Moss said.