Director of International Student Services to retire

by Stephanie Biegel, News Reporter

Judy Brodd, director of the University of Wisconsin International Student Services and dedicated supporter for international students, will retire to Door County next week to reside with her husband. During her tenure as director of ISS, she endured major American policy changes regarding international visitors and students coming to the U.S.

“With her sense of humor and the way in which she forged on through these upgrades, she fought for international students,” John Lucas, UW spokesman, said. “Brodd has been at the front of many of these processes.”

One such instance in which concerns surrounded international students involved the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11. UW officials worried international students would encounter heavy delays when entering the country after the events. They expected additional paperwork and regulated procedures such as personal interviews would contribute to such delays.

After relatively few arrival delays in the fall for international students, only six students were delayed for spring semester enrollment at UW.

Another policy change the ISS faced was the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System, a system used to track international students. The system has been in place since January and serves to promote a strong foundation of federally monitoring international students wishing to enter the country.

According to Brodd, this system was created to allow universities and the Department of Homeland Security to exchange visa statistics of international students, but should not be viewed in a negative light.

“International programming is more than just reporting to a federal government,” Brodd said. “It’s providing a welcoming environment to international students to ensure their personal and academic success.”

Brodd is very confident in the future of SEVIS and the presence of international students on campus.

“Students are now informed with the new rules and regulations, and as we all learn the new system, it will only grow easier for both staff and students,” Brodd said.

In addition to federal mandated procedures, ISS works to create programs that will aid students in their entire stay at the university. Any visa, academic or government troubles are taken care of by ISS staff.

Brodd, who managed the office many international students work through, especially helped them obtain much-needed resources during tough times.

She feels it is essential for these students to know and be familiar with certain restrictions in order to maintain their legal status in the states, which ISS helps to explain.

Brodd leaves with high hopes for the future of ISS. Many changes have been made within the services, and the ISS staff strives towards bettering the transition process for international students, she said.

“We have really come about in the last year. I feel confident about the future with such a dedicated staff and the way they work together as a team.”

To learn more about SEVIS or ISS, one can visit their website at www.intstudents.wisc.edu.