State Street parking ramp rejected, Peace Park to be renovated

Efforts to build a mid-State Street parking ramp in place of the Buckeye lot on West Gilman Street were rejected last Thursday, surprising members of the community as well as the committee that created the plan.

The committee voted 5-2, with three members of the committee absent and therefore unable to vote.

The rejection of the project, which was to include retail space and a parking ramp, came after some committee members worried about the preservation of three houses near the lot and concern about the adequacy of the proposed 250 parking spots. The houses, which are inhabited by students, are located on the edge of a federal historical district. They would not necessarily be demolished, but it was made clear at the meeting that it would be a challenge to save them.

The project has been in the works for almost 10 years and is something many State Street business owners feel is crucial and necessary to maintain business.

“It is a real kick in the teeth,” Sandi Torkildson, president of the Greater State Street Business Association, said. “It is just one more thing making it harder for independent businesses to keep their heads above water downtown Madison,” Torkildson, who is also owner of A Room of One’s Own bookstore, said.

City Council President Mike Verveer said the committee agrees more parking space is needed on State Street, it is just a matter of location. There is already money in the budget to build the parking ramp.

“It was rejected for reasons other than not wanting it,” Susan Schmitz, president of Downtown Madison Inc., said. “It is something everyone agrees we need.”

Verveer said the committee may continue discussions, or a new committee will be created. The possibility of the issue going to the regular committee system is also an option.

“There will be a delay,” Verveer said. “How long of a delay is unknown right now.”

Four days after the rejection of the parking ramp, Peace Park, which is next to the proposed parking-ramp site, was approved for renovation. The Madison Budget and Finance Committee met last Monday and unanimously approved the plan, which was proposed two years ago. The committee has a budget of $50,000 for renovations, but private funds will be needed to support the project, according to Verveer, who serves on the committee.

“The park is in desperate need of some TLC,” Verveer said. “It is almost embarrassing how poorly utilized the park is.”

According to Verveer, plans for the park include a generous landscape and planting new vegetation while preserving some of what is already there. A fountain, a small amphitheater, a visitor center and public restrooms will also be added to the premises, Verveer said.

The design will now work its way through City Council, and construction may be underway as early as the end of 2004.