Sen. Erpenbach speaks to College Democrats

by Natalie J. Mikhail, State Editor

State Senate Minority Leader Jon Erpenbach, D-Middleton, urged University of Wisconsin College Democrats Tuesday to become active in the 2004 presidential campaign.

Erpenbach stressed student involvement in both the Democratic Party and the presidential election.

“This is probably the biggest presidential election of your lives,” Erpenbach told the audience. “You have to support someone … because there is so much riding on this.”

Erpenbach, a declared supporter of Democratic presidential hopeful Gov. Howard Dean of Vermont, described the candidate as a “modern-day Harry Truman.” He said Dean is clear on his views and sticks by his beliefs.

However, Erpenbach emphasized that no matter who one chooses to support now, it is vital that students remain active in the campaign and the Democratic Party.

“We have to elect a Democrat. We have to get rid of Bush,” Erpenbach said, adding that he thinks Bush took office illegitimately. “I respect the [presidential] office, but I disagree with just about everything he’s done.”

Erpenbach said that a new, fresh administration could lead the United States in a completely new direction. One example Erpenbach listed concerned the USA PATRIOT Act. He applauded U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wisconsin, for being the only one to vote against the act in 2001, adding that it is a complete violation of basic American rights disguised by the fight against terrorism.

“The second we give up a basic civil right, [the terrorists] have already won,” Erpenbach said. “These are things very precious to you, and our government is trying to take that away.”

Erpenbach also discussed current issues concerning Wisconsin, such as the marriage bill and the conceal-and-carry legislation that have created heated, partisan debates in the Legislature.

“I’m a little jaded that we’ve been wasting time, valuable time,” Erpenbach said in response to these issues taking up three days of discussion on the floor.

UW senior Steven Singh said he learned a lot from Erpenbach’s lecture and thought the senator to be a great speaker.

“It’s good for us to hear about some of the issues … straight from the source,” Singh said.

Singh also found it beneficial as a Democrat and a student. Although Singh said he currently remains neutral in the Democratic campaign, it is important to get involved. He said the stronger the candidates’ primary campaigns are, the stronger Democrat’s choice candidate will be closer to the election in Nov. 2004.

“It’s important that all the candidates run good races right now,” Singh said.

UW College Republicans also held a meeting Tuesday night with guest speaker Richard Graber, chair of the Republican Party of Wisconsin.
Frank Harris, chair of UW’s College Republicans, said they have a continually decent turnout for their events and have scheduled Bob Welch, a U.S. Senate candidate from Wisconsin, to speak on Dec. 2.