Job Creation Act introduced

Wisconsin Senate Majority Leader Mary Panzer, R-West Bend, and Assembly Speaker John Gard, R-Peshtigo, introduced legislation Tuesday to implement their Job Creation Act of 2003.

The act, first unveiled on Oct. 30, is designed to create dozens of jobs and address economic development within the state. It developed out of discussions with hundreds of Wisconsin employers and workers and includes broad changes in the regulatory environment in the state. Many of the reforms modeled similar measures adopted by Minnesota.

“While some people merely talk about job creation and economic development ideas, this Legislature has delivered with concrete proposals and bi-partisan action on this issue critical to Wisconsin’s future,” Panzer said. “We have listened to the business community time and time again to find out what we need to do to create a climate that creates jobs. The Job Creation Act of 2003 will be a key building block to that end.”

Some major reforms of the bill include creating the right for affected parties to petition agencies to prepare an economic impact report on their regulatory proposals, assuring agency accountability by providing for gubernatorial approval of all agency rulemaking prior to submittal to the Legislature for review and modifying Chapter 285, which is the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources’ Air Program. This program is designed to assure timely issuance of air permits and otherwise streamline and consolidate administrative hurdles impeding business expansion in Wisconsin.

Panzer and Gard wrote this legislation in conjunction with Gov. Jim Doyle’s personal goal of creating the “most aggressive regulatory reform policy in the Midwest” and “the most aggressive time limits on issuing air permits by the end of next year.” Doyle made these statements at the fourth annual Wisconsin Economic Summit held last month.

“The Job Creation Act of 2003 delivers on those goals. This legislation is a perfect example of a Republican legislature and a Democrat Governor working together to meet shared goals,” Gard said.

The two Legislature leaders said they would attempt to pass the act before the Legislature adjourns for the year this week. Gard said he hoped the bill would meet with broad bipartisan support and be quickly signed into law by Doyle.
“The heart of our strategy is to capitalize on Wisconsin’s strengths — excellent schools, universities, technical colleges, a high quality of life, natural beauty, a legacy of innovation, a commitment to quality, and, above all, a hardworking, highly educated labor force that is second to none,” Doyle said.

The governor criticized the Legislature last week for not focusing on economic development in its agenda. Regarding the bill, spokesperson for Doyle Dan Leistikow said, “some of the ideas have some merit;” however, the one thing the governor will not go along with is presumptive approval.

Gard refuted this attack in a letter to Doyle, saying that they are “moving forward” to create jobs.

Republican Party of Wisconsin spokesperson Chris Lato also accused Doyle of being all talk and no action. He said that Doyle has not initiated any proposals in line with his “Grow Wisconsin” plan.

“His argument is a false statement,” Lato said. “He has not brought forth any legislation.”

Both parties say they would like to work with each other to address the current state and future of Wisconsin economically.

“The Governor thinks that we should streamline the process and make it more efficient without lowering standards,” Leistikow said.