Badger Poll: Wisconsin opposes weapons bill

A recent poll conducted by the University of Wisconsin Survey Center in Madison indicated that most Wisconsin residents oppose allowing people to own and carry concealed handguns.

The Badger Poll found that of the 511 residents randomly selected to take the survey, 69 percent said they oppose a proposal “to allow people who can legally own handguns to carry concealed weapons in most public places.”

A proposal to overturn the 130-year-old ban on carrying concealed weapons in Wisconsin was approved by the state Senate Oct. 24 by a 24-8 margin. It is expected to pass the Assembly as well. However, Gov. Jim Doyle has said he will veto the bill if it should cross his desk.

The strong opinions on both sides suggests the outcome of the issue will likely ride on whether at least two-thirds of both the Senate and Assembly will vote to override his veto.

According to Don Ferree, director of the Badger Poll, the majority of respondents, 70 percent, said that those requesting permission to carry a concealed weapon should be required to make a case as to why they want to carry a gun. He added that the poll shows a fairly even split on what is an appropriate process in directing a concealed carry law.

“The poll is intended to be a poll of record describing what’s on the mind of people in the state … over time,” Ferree said. “It is not supposed to be a straight up referendum on the issue.”

Ferree said this is the responsibility of legislators, adding that the poll should be used to contribute an issue of debate and raise awareness of what people think.

Ryan Smith, spokesperson for state Sen. Scott Fitzgerald, who supports the bill, said although there are concerns, a ratio of three to one residents favor the measure in Fitzgerald’s district of constituents.

“He’s got to do what his constituents want,” Smith said, adding that the number of people who are likely to apply for permits, if the legislation passes, is likely to be low.

Smith also said if it becomes law, the state Department of Justice will be responsible for publicizing the message.

“I don’t think people know enough about it,” Smith said in response to the high number of opponents to the legislation in Wisconsin.

Corey Graff, executive director of Wisconsin Gun Owners, said the bill is a step backward for gun ownership, despite the arguments of institutional gun lobbies and politicians supporting the bill.

“It forces gun owners to be registered like criminals with the state Department of Justice in a computerized database, so it’s both a bad concealed carry bill and gun control, rolled into one,” Graff said. “Sen. [David] Zien isn’t as pro-gun as he’d have second amendment supporters believe.”

He added that the WGO is not completely opposed to issuing some sort of concealed carry law, but “it must respect individuals’ privacy and freedoms.”

Ferree said that overall, Wisconsin residents agreed with the principle to allow people to carry guns in particular situations, such as hunting, but there are reservations about some existing practices and expanding its uses.

The poll’s margin of error is plus or minus 4 percentage points.