SSFC approves funds for PAVE, Catholic group and SAFE Nighttime Services

The Student Services Finance Committee met for perhaps its last six-hour meeting Wednesday night, as it approved funding for Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment (PAVE), the University of Wisconsin Roman Catholic Foundation and discussed SAFE Nighttime Services.

The UW Roman Catholic Foundation got final approval from the SSFC for a $42,160 allocation to the group. This amount is down from the group’s budget request of $170,203; with cuts of more than $50,000 to decrease office-supply funds, along with more cuts to computer supplies and software. This was the foundation’s first time requesting student dollars.

PAVE received a budget allocation of $61,470, down approximately $570 from its original proposal, but that is still an increase from last year’s approved budget in a unanimous decision.

The SAFE program was approved with a tag stating SAFE must change its starting hours from 10:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. Only one member voted against the decision, although many members stressed their fear of micromanaging.

SSFC members discussed adding a tag of making the SAFE administration come to the committee or honing the advice of a student consultant before making service-oriented changes or similar provisions, but Dean of Students Luoluo Hong reported to the committee that such a tag might not be enforceable by the SSFC.

The budget decision for Polygon Engineering Student Council was tabled until Monday’s meeting, due to the late time. The SSFC now cannot hold meetings later than the Memorial Union’s hours due to open-meetings laws.