Wesley Clark meets supporters at Capitol

Democratic presidential candidate Gen. Wesley Clark attacked President George W. Bush’s politics at a press conference Monday at the State Capitol.

Clark explained that he entered the race because the Bush administration has no strategy or plan for the war on terror, the war in Iraq or domestic politics.

“I never expected to [run for president] because I never thought our nation would be in this state,” Clark said. “There’s no strategy. There’s never been a strategy … and the way to fix it is to change the commander-in-chief.”

The retired four-star general for the United States Army spoke privately to the press in the Assembly room parlor before joining a small crowd of supporters in the Capitol Rotunda who chanted, “We want Wes.”

“We’re going to change the way this country is viewed in the world,” Clark told the crowd of supporters. “I want to be in America where Washington doesn’t tell us what to do, but listens and works. Together we can change this country.”

Clark said all the Bush administration has done is “play politics” with the American people.

“This administration has an upside problem-solving process. They start with a pre-conceived solution, then they look for some way to slap it on the current situation,” Clark said.

He emphasized the need for leadership that is held to high standards and listens to its constituents. The way to accomplish this, Clark said, is to follow the four C’s he learned during his military career: candor, competence, commitment and courage.

“I’m the most experienced leader in this race,” Clark added.

The presidential candidate also addressed the nation’s economic condition and his plans for creating more jobs to boost the economy. Clark said improving health care and social security are also high on his agenda.

Wisconsin Lt. Gov. Barbara Lawton introduced Clark and expressed the importance of Wisconsin’s primary, which is Feb. 17, at a “critical juncture in U.S. history.”

Supporters welcoming Clark to Wisconsin for the first time in the campaign hung political signs from the Capitol balcony, reading such slogans as “We want a new Dubya,” “Vote Wes Clark” and “Clark: A New American Hero.”

“People are really sick of George Bush and Clark really appeals,” Adam Diedrich, co-coordinator of the University of Wisconsin Students for Clark, said.

Diedrich added that student followers of Clark are trying to boost his support by getting his name out there, particularly through chalking and signs.

“It’s all about visibility,” Diedrich said.

UW students in support of Clark at the Capitol said he is an ideal candidate because of his intelligence, integrity and moderate politics.

However, some students see Clark, like other Democratic candidates, as all talk but no action.

“It’s way too easy to take on what a current president does,” UW student Michael Gatzlaff said. “I don’t think any Democratic candidate has a plan to fix the problems.”

In response to the number of candidates that have campaigned in Madison, Gatzlaff said the city and campus’s liberal nature is worthless in gaining campaign support.

“They’re wasting their time in Madison,” Gatzlaff said. “They’re preaching to the choir.”

Clark met with Gov. Jim Doyle before traveling to Milwaukee.