Tattoo artists flock to Madison for expo

More than 2,000 body art enthusiasts gathered at the Alliant Energy Center over the weekend for the 1st Annual Madtown Tattoo & Piercing Expo, which was held Friday through Sunday.

The expo housed more than 50 booths, all equipped with 1-2 tattoo artists and a variety of different tattoos to choose from.

“I’ve already tattooed nine people,” Tattoo artist Shawn Franklin said Sunday. “Most of them were getting either their first or second tattoos, which is unusual for a tattoo show.”

Franklin went on to explain his interest in the tattooing scene.

“I got into the tattooing scene from a combination of peer pressure and because I like to draw so much,” Franklin said. “Everyone here takes this pretty seriously. It’s their living.”

The expo was small compared to the Chicago tattoo and piercing show, which can hold hundreds of booths in its venue.

“For being a small show and being the first time, we’re doing really well,” said promoter Steve May, from D and S Productions. “There have already been a couple of thousand people through here, and the vendors seem to be getting a lot of business.”

The main events of the show included a contest for best tattoo — first prize was a 3-foot trophy for the winner and $500 for the tattoo artist.

“We saw around 800 contestants yesterday, and we’re expecting around that many today as well,” Judge and Tattoo Artist Michael Dorn said Sunday.

“Our criterion includes appearance, line, and shading. And because there are three separate judges with three separate scores, we feel as though everyone really gets a fair shot,” Dorn said. “Although it’s really hard as we see so many really spectacular tattoos.”

While the show was called the Tattooing & Piercing Expo, there were very few booths doing any piercing. Expo vendors said this was due to the lack of nearby running water and privacy.

“It’s just not the best environment to pierce in,” Franklin said. “But for tattooing, it’s great since everyone here is really into it.”