Tunisian ambassador urges cooperation

The Tunisian Ambassador to the United States spoke to a packed room at the University of Wisconsin Wednesday, emphasizing cooperation and understanding between Arabs and Americans.

Hatem Atallah, who was named ambassador to the United States in 2000, delivered a public talk entitled “Challenges and Opportunities in U.S.-Arab Relations — A Tunisian Perspective,” to students and university and business officials.

Atallah began speaking about the close relationship that the United States and Tunisia have, especially since the United States became the first power to recognize Tunisian sovereignty. He added that after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, Tunisia has been at the “forefront of the war on terrorism” both domestically and at the international level.

“In the war against terrorism, security measures are not sufficient themselves,” Atallah said. “Without active support of others, no country can prevail alone … we are in this together.”

The ambassador said countries should not impose political solutions on each other because individual cultures and interests vary for every country.

“We need to recognize that there can’t be one system of government in every country. We need to be careful not to let misunderstandings of other countries become reality,” Atallah added.

Atallah also spent time talking about women’s rights in Tunisia, the Palestinian/Israeli conflict and the war in Iraq. He emphasized dialogue and tolerance as strategies for better relations.

“[Both sides] need to understand each other better,” Atallah said. “The deeper the understanding is, the greater the acceptance. We need to stress the fact that we all differ on the issues…but the main factor is that we need to accept each other’s differences.”

The ambassador received applause and general approval from the audience after his speech.

“I think it’s great for Wisconsin that we can hear ambassadors and leaders from all over the world,” UW senior Justa Schmidt said. “I think it’s important for people to hear another perspective.”

Schmidt, however, said the public comments after the speech were unfortunately not related to the point of Atallah’s talk.

UW Ph.D. student Bechir Hamdaoui, who is from Tunisia, also said he thought the ambassador’s visit was beneficial for university students.

“[Atallah] emphasized a few points that people should be aware of,” Hamdaoui said in reference to having an exchange of cultures, particularly at the university.

One critique of Atallah’s speech was his avoidance of controversial issues.

“I think he avoided those issues because they could have been detrimental to this kind of discussion,” UW junior Tomek Krzyzostaniak said.

Krzyzostaniak added that he thought the presentation provided an “alternative perspective” to the Arab-American conflict.

Before he was named ambassador, Atallah was second secretary at the Tunisian Embassy from 1983 to 1987 and counselor of foreign affairs from 1988 to 1990. He earned his undergraduate degree in the sociology of development from the University of Arts of Tunis and his master’s degree in English literature from the University of Tunis.

Atallah also spent a year in Watertown, Wis., as an American Field Service exchange student in 1973, which explains his bond to the state.

The UW International Institute is in the process of forming an academic relationship with the University of Tunis.

“These people-to-people relationships are essential … in building a safer world in which we aspire,” Gilles Bousquet, director of the International Institute, said.