Fall festival to bring back detoured customers

This weekend, Madison will hold a fall festival to entice back shoppers who deserted downtown Madison to avoid the construction.

Festival manager Sarah Reiter said the Johnson Street construction was part of the city’s reason to hold the event.

“Summer was difficult for lots of retailers. Now we’re looking for opportunities to bring people back downtown,” Reiter said. “The construction is almost done, so it’s like a Welcome Back party.”

Fontana co-owner Judith Hutchinson said she does not think the lack of summer sales is the sole purpose of the fall festival, however.

“It’s a very active, positive group of State Street business people who keep getting people to come downtown and enjoy State Street,” Hutchinson said.

Reiter said the festival will be held to increase Wisconsin residents’ involvement downtown.

“It is a downtown community event which is highlighting fall sales and promotions,” Reiter said.

According to Reiter, Friday the focus will concentrate on sales in downtown stores, and Saturday the city will host a number of events including a tractor parade at 1 p.m., hayrides all day, and music in Lisa Link Peace Park.

Stores along State Street are participating in a scarecrow contest to help keep the autumn spirit alive, Hutchinson said. She said her store will have sales this weekend as part of the festival.

City Council President Mike Verveer said he hopes the festival becomes an annual event.

“I think it is a hugely positive, cool new thing. Hopefully it will become a tradition for State Street and Capitol Square,” Verveer said.

He said the city wanted an opportunity to promote more involvement in downtown activities and especially bring more families downtown. He said families are one of the demographics missing from State Street.

“State Street is not as much a family destination as I wish it was,” Verveer said.

The sales and promotions are applicable for the whole community, Reiter said. She said students and families can all find things they like downtown.

According to Reiter, the sales will be similar to Maxwell Street Days, held on State Street in July. She said Harvest Festival will not replace Maxwell but complement it.

“It’s one of the last farmers’ markets. Hopefully people will stay, go shopping, go on hayrides or listen to music,” Reiter said.

Hutchinson applauded the Harvest Festival idea.

“It’s the Capitol at its best — small-town thinking to bring in a large range of people,” Hutchinson said.

According to Verveer, Harvest Festival is a good precursor to Halloween weekend.

“Harvest Festival could serve as a warmup to the largest public Halloween party in Wisconsin or in the nation,” Veveer said.