UW wants exemption from concealed-carry bill

The University of Wisconsin system is seeking exemption from proposed state legislation that would allow individuals to carry concealed handguns. The UW system wants to ban individuals from carrying concealed weapons on all campus and university property.

UW System President Katherine Lyall sent a letter Monday to co-chairs of the Legislature’s Joint Committee on Finance, which is currently reviewing concealed-carry legislation, requesting that the university be given the right to prohibit concealed weapons on their campuses.

“Our campuses can be emotionally charged places, not just within classroom buildings, but in public gathering places such as the Library Mall here in Madison,” Lyall wrote to Sen. Alberta Darling, R-Menomonee Falls, and Rep. Dean Kaufert, R-Neenah. “Emotions can run high, and it would be tragic if those emotions were to result in the use of weapons to resolve differences.”

Last week a Senate committee amended the bill, exempting taverns, churches and K-12 schools from the law. The changes allow them to prohibit concealed weapons on their premises.

Lyall urged lawmakers to extend that same exemption to UW system campuses.

“Our protection and security people indicate and believe that [the law] will not protect students,” UW System spokesperson Margaret Lewis said.

Lewis said the university is “sensitive that students feel insecure walking home late,” but maintained that there are several safe ride and escort programs on all campuses that negate the need for added protection.

“We don’t need weapons in this case,” Lewis said. “Our protection and security people feel this will not add to students’ safety.”

According to Lewis, 31 of the 45 states that have concealed-carry laws offer universities exemption.

Dave Volz, spokesperson for Sen. Darling, speculated that legislators are trying to uphold Wisconsin residents’ rights to protect themselves.

“They just want people to protect themselves on campuses,” Volz said in response to why the Senate Judiciary, Corrections and Privacy Committee may have denied UW system the exemption. “Most sexual assaults occur on college campuses … the last thing you want to do is prevent [students] from protecting themselves.”

Volz added that Darling has not yet stated her position on lifting the state’s 130-year-old ban on concealed weapons.

UW-Madison senior Megan Rediske said a concealed-carry law is “ridiculous,” regardless of how unsafe a person feels.

“I think it’s stupid that they allow guns anywhere,” Rediske said. “I worry about walking home alone at night, but I don’t think a gun would be useful. I think it is likely it would be used against me more than help me.”

However, Paul Harris, UW-Rock County junior and gun owner, said although he does not feel the need to ensure his protection with a gun, he thinks it would be a good deterrent for criminals who think they can take advantage of unarmed people.

“I would like to see this law passed,” Harris said. “I would like to see people have a better understanding of the law.”

Harris also said he thinks guns should not be allowed at schools, churches and other places where crime is not prevalent.

UW-Stevens Point allows students to use free gun lockers, according to UWSP junior Ryan Saunders, adding that many UWSP students hunt or practice with targets near campus.

“[They have the lockers] to discourage keeping [guns] in the dorm rooms,” Saunders said. Although the university tries to deter students possessing firearms on campus property, Saunders said it does not always work.

“I’ve seen a lot of guns in the dorm rooms,” he said. “If you live in the dorms, where else are you going to clean your gun?”

Saunders indicated he would have to think hard about allowing concealed weapons on campus, but added he did not feel intimidated by gun-toting students.

“I guess I’d be right on the line (if I had to vote on it),” Saunders offered. “But seriously, how many students are actually going to get a (concealed-carry) permit?”

Concealed-carry legislation has been the object of heated debate in the Capitol and across the state. If passed, the legislation would allow Wisconsin residents age 21 or older who have completed a 22-hour firearms training course, who are not incompetent and who are not drug dependent to carry concealed weapons.

Republicans in the state Legislature, who have generally been in favor of the concealed-carry bill, are still discussing their position in the Joint Finance Committee. Members are expected to vote on the legislation this week.

Gov. Jim Doyle has said he would veto such concealed-carry legislation.