Crime rates down in Wisconsin

A report released Wednesday by the state Office of Justice Assistance showed that the overall crime rate in Wisconsin declined in 2002.

The report, which is released annually, said index offenses dropped 1.2 percent from 2001 to 2002, marking a departure from trends in 2001 when index crimes increased 3.8 percent from the previous year. These offenses include murders, non-negligent manslaughters, rape, robbery, assault, burglary, theft, car theft and arson.

“It shows that our state crime prevention officers and local police officers have an effect and help to make cities safer,” said Steve Herman, president of the Wisconsin Crime Prevention Practitioners Association. “The numbers are down because communities are more aware of crime.”

But the report also found that while overall crime fell, violent offenses, which include forcible rape, aggravated assault and murder, increased 0.7 percent. These offenses accounted for 6.9 percent of the total crime index in 2002.

In order to keep crime rates down, Herman said the police should continue to work with the community and build up programs, such as neighborhood watches.

“People are getting tired of crime and want to work in their community and with local law enforcement to keep crime in the state low,” Herman said. “This report suggests [state crime prevention] is working.”

However, some argue that this report is not very significant in showing the actual crime status in Wisconsin.

University of Wisconsin criminal law professor John Pray said he does not think people should not be relieved or alarmed by this report. Other factors could play a part in the decline, including less people reporting crimes, he added.

“I think it’s really difficult to interpret,” Pray said. “I don’t take this report to mean very much. The percentages are very small and to me, that doesn’t mean a monumental change.”

Instead, Pray feels it should be significant in interpreting long-term trends in crime.

“[These reports] are worth taking because we don’t know what the results would be,” Pray added.

Although state crime rates are decreasing, Lt. Eric Holden, who works night patrol with the UW police department, said crime trends at the UW have been historically low.

“Fortunately our numbers are not very high in this area,” Holden said in reference to crimes against people.

One of the main problems on campus is “property-type crimes,” Holden added. The university crime rate is currently about average compared to last year.

“Our concern is to make sure people are safe,” Holden said.

The Office of Justice Assistance compiles the annual report using monthly data submitted by more than 368 law enforcement agencies in Wisconsin.

Paul Guequierre, spokesperson for the Office of Justice Assistance, said Wisconsin’s crime index is 22.6 percent lower than the national level.

The state cleared 49 percent of violent crimes in the state in 2002, down 6.7 percent from 2001, the report said.