Air-sampling stations

As part of a larger effort to improve the nation’s homeland security, Wisconsin set up nine air- sampling stations in secret locations across the southeastern corner of the state this spring to detect biological agents, such as anthrax, that terrorists might release.

The state set up these stations as part of the nation’s Bio-Watch surveillance program, which is part of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s work on bio-preparedness. It includes developing an environmental surveillance system and associated response plans.

Filters from the Wisconsin stations are collected daily and driven to a lab in Illinois everyday. The results are then e-mailed back to Wisconsin public-health officials every afternoon, said Lori Getter, spokesperson for Wisconsin Emergency Management.

“It’s to give local governments and health officials a heads-up on what’s happening with state security,” Getter said.

The stations are set up in secret locations to ensure no one interferes with the testing or the testing sites. They are usually found in more populated areas, which why they are located in the southeastern area in Wisconsin.

The State Department of Natural Resources oversees Wisconsin’s project, however, every state has similar programs in place as part of Bio-Watch, Getter said.

Officials told a state Senate committee last week that similar efforts to safeguard urban water systems serving more than 50,000 people should also be in place by the end of the year with smaller systems protected by mid-2004.

They assured the Senate Committee on Homeland Security, Veterans and Military Affairs and Government Reform that they are prepared to protect Wisconsin residents in any emergency.

“That’s part of the project,” Getter said.

Other speakers at the hearing warned that the different radio frequencies used by state and local police and fire agencies could cause communication glitches which would, in turn, complicate rescue and cleanup efforts if terrorists attack.

However, some public-health officials said they are worried that extra attention to national security is reducing money and attention to other important public-health initiatives, such as anti-smoking education and cessation programs.

Others argue not enough funds are put into ensuring state security. Dan Kannien, spokesperson for Sen. Robert Jauch, D-Poplar, said the programs are “dramatically under-funded.”

According to the State Office of Justice Assistance, the federal government has given Wisconsin about $3.8 million this year for equipment, training and overtime related to national security. This is in addition to the $10 million in previous grants since 1999. The federal government also offers additional grants to public-health agencies and airports as part of homeland-security funds.

At least 80 percent of the money is allocated to local governments for emergency services.

Jauch previously said the federal aid is less than promised and not enough to do the job.

“There’s not a lot you can do with the amount of money currently given by the state and federal governments to ensure security at the local level,” Kannien said.