Toyota to release self-parking car

Sixteen-year-olds worldwide can breathe easier. The parallel-parking portion of the driver’s test may no longer plague the thousands of teens vying for a license every year once Toyota releases its updated version of the Prius, now available with a self-parking feature.

The Prius, derived from the Latin word meaning, “to go before,” was the world’s first mass-produced hybrid, or battery-operated car. The latest version, currently available only in Japan, is the first step in the growing trend toward self-automated cars.

Using the car’s inner computer and a rear-mounted camera, the Prius can park itself without the driver ever needing to touch the steering wheel.

Toyota released the car for sale last Monday in Japan, and although it is not currently available in the United States, Toyota plans to sell 35,000-36,000 in the United States within the next year.

The car is currently available in Japan for 2.15 million yen ($18,430) with an additional 230,000 yen for the self-park feature, which includes a DVD navigation system.

The new technology is the first of its kind worldwide, and although Toyota assures consumers the self-park feature would prevent drivers from hitting other cars, there is still some concern over the liability.

UW mechanical engineering professor John Moskwa said a self-parking car would have difficulty passing through legal loopholes in the United States.

“The legal system is very different in Japan than in the United States,” Moskwa said. “Lawyers are much more active over here, so maybe it’s a good idea that they’re testing out this new technology in Japan.”

On www.wired.com, online users debated the problems that could arise from a self-parking car.

“What if the car hits another car?,” one user asked. Other users speculated whether the car or the driver would be liable for the crash and whether insurance would cover damages.

Derek Hudson, a salesman at Jon Lancaster Toyota in Madison said the new advancement is a good one but still places the majority of the responsibility on the driver rather than the car.

“It’s more the person operating the car than the car itself that should be blamed, but it sounds like a good new technology,” Hudson said.

Automotive companies have worked for years to develop technology to ultimately allow drivers to sit in a car while the car drives itself, but Moskwa said it will be many years before anything of that sort is actually available.

Professor Moskwa said he is aware of the progression toward autonomous cars but said, “There are not clear goals as to why exactly this technology should be made available.”

Toyota and Honda Motor Co. are currently the only two automakers to sell hybrid vehicles, and although Honda’s model does not have a self-park feature, if current trends are any predication, it might not be long before it develops one as well.