Freshman dies of hazing in New York

The death of a freshman pledging the Psi Epsilon Chi fraternity at the State University of New York College at Plattsburgh has led to 11 members being charged with 150 crimes, including hazing and negligent homicide, at the conclusion of the police investigation.

Freshman Walter Dean Jennings reportedly died of hydroneutremia, or water intoxication, which caused swelling of the brain.

Police have connected the death to a hazing incident in March after he was forced to drink large quantities of water fed through a funnel until he was induced to vomiting.

Jennings was pledging Psi Epsilon Chi, which was not officially recognized by SUNY after underage drinking violations in 1998.

However, enforcement of disciplinary actions for the students involved is a possibility, according to a statement released by university officials Wednesday.

Officials stressed the illegality surrounding hazing and SUNY’s zero tolerance hazing policy.

In correspondence, the University of Wisconsin Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Association have the same philosophy of a strict no tolerance policy in connection with hazing in the Greek system.

UW freshman Kyle Marks, risk management co-chair of the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, made it clear that their chapter is adamantly against hazing during pledging or any other fraternity-related activity.

“We feel that there is no need to break a man down and build him back up for him to be at the level that is consistent with our house’s standards and morals,” Marks said.

He also said he does not see how hazing should be included in any phase of pledging and prides himself on the fact that his house traditionally obeys the zero tolerance policy.

“SigEp has instilled a very open line of communication to promote members to talk to the president if they feel they are being hazed at any point in time,” Marks said.

Any complaints can be taken to the Judicial Board, which serves to hear cases filed by fraternities and sororities recognized by the IFC and Panhellenic Association.

Shane Hoffman, 2002 president of Alpha Epsilon Pi, said that the no tolerance policy is consistent throughout the chapter on UW’s campus.

“Rushees are made aware that hazing is not tolerated and are given a phone number to the national office to report any misconduct during the pledging process,” Hoffman said.

According to Hoffman, if a pledge feels he is being hazed in any instance, the accused member is no longer allowed to go to any other activity with the pledge. In addition, AEPi has constructed a standards board to deal with any issues that might arise and positioned a risk management chair to mediate all fraternity-sponsored activities. Through these measures, Hoffman believes that it has been successful in maintaining the safety of their members.

Panhellenic President Sarah Laurin assures that recognized sororities strictly prohibit any form of hazing.

“We pride ourselves on taking a proactive, instead of reactive approach to the issue of hazing,” Laurin said. “Great lengths are taken to provide speakers and events throughout the year to serve as a continuous reminder of our anti-hazing policy.”

Laurin believes that the recruitment process of new members is very different than assumed.

“I feel that in terms of sororities, hazing is not a big problem anymore,” Laurin said. “Rather, we want to welcome new members into our sisterhood as equals.”

However, if a problem were to arise, the protocol is similar to that of IFC. Members are stressed to file a public or anonymous report with the Judicial Board to be dealt with accordingly.

“Panhel and risk management are extremely aware of what goes on in our community by keeping our eyes and ears open,” Laurin said. “By doing so, misconduct does not go unrecognized.”