SARS sparks concern in Madison and beyond

University of Wisconsin students studying abroad, as well as students studying in Madison, are expressing concern when it comes to severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), a disease that is sparking conversation and worry worldwide.

According to Joan Raducha, UW director of International Academic Programs, students studying in Singapore and Hong Kong have either decided to come home or leave the country to go elsewhere because of SARS. No students remain in these two countries through UW study abroad programs. A few students are still studying in China.

Although these students have terminated their semesters early, UW is attempting to award students as much academic credit as possible for the semester because of the circumstances.

“We will work with them to earn as much credit as possible,” Raducha said, noting that she expects UW will be able to award students a full load of academic credit, but that the outcome still remains uncertain.

In regards to study abroad programs for the upcoming fall, Raducha noted uncertainty in regard to what will remain open and what will be closed.

“We have not made a decision to close any programs at this point,” Raducha said. “As deadlines approach, more decisions will be made.”

A number of UW students from Hong Kong are worried about friends and family members back home, as well as what will happen when the summer comes and it is time for them to depart for their three-month break. Many students fear that after leaving the United States for the summer it will be impossible for them to receive clearance to re-enter and continue their studies in Madison.

Jacqueline Law, co-president of the Hong Kong Students Association at UW, said that a main concern of students is whether they should go back to Hong Kong when the semester ends.

“The U.S. could block entry,” Law said. “It is quite a concern right now.”

She also said that because of this possibility, a number of students are planning on staying in the United States over the summer to avoid possible problems, even though the risk of getting SARS is relatively low because of the high population of people in Hong Kong, in her opinion.

“The probability of getting infected is low,” Law said. “I don’t know any relatives or friends who have been [infected].”

Even with these thoughts in mind, Law still noted an extreme concern for the health of her family and friends in Hong Kong.

“We have some students concerned about traveling home,” said Judy Brodd, interim director of International Student Services.

Approximately 3,700 international students are currently enrolled at UW.

No cases of SARS have been reported in Madison at this point, and safety precautions are listed on the Center for Disease Control’s website. In addition, University Health Services is distributing a newsletter today with information regarding the situation and disease.