Band that lit deadly RI fire planned to play Luther’s

Luther’s Blues may have escaped two brushes with club pyrotechnics disasters in the last week.

Luther’s Blues management refused to allow the Seattle-based Jet City Fix band to use pyrotechnics during its show Feb. 16 when the band began setting up the fireworks despite its contract with Luther’s prohibiting the use of pyrotechnics.

The next night, the Jet City Fix band traveled to Minneapolis and used their pyrotechnics at the Fine Line Music Café without the management’s knowledge, according to Dario Anselmo. The fireworks lit the ceiling on fire and seriously damaged the club, shutting down the club for weeks to come.

Luther’s avoided another dangerous band by canceling the Great White show set for Thursday. The Great White set the ceiling of a Rhode Island club on fire when they used giant sparklers on stage during the show. The fire killed at least 96 people.

Although Great White shows are canceled, Jet City Fix is still touring with guitarist Link Wray.

The show continued as planned last week in Chicago at the Abbey Pub, minus the pyrotechnics.

Club manager Tony Poulos said the Abbey Pub does not allow pyrotechnics so it was not an issue for the band, with “totally perfect” cooperation.

Shows also continued according to plan Friday in Cleveland, Ohio, at the Beachland Ballroom and last night at the Montage Grill in Rochester, N.Y.

Montage Grill manager Carly Roseman she does not condone pyrotechnics and said club staff found none when they double-checked the stage before show time.