Horovitz speaks at Hillel

With tension between Israel and those living in the Palestinian territories, Israeli journalist David Horovitz gave his insights into Israel’s discord with Palestine Wednesday night.

In his discussion at the Hillel Foundation, Horovitz began by explaining that his speech was going to be depressing and disheartening but said it is necessary that he review what it is like to live in Jerusalem, how his country got into the current situation and how it might be able to get out of it.

Horovitz expressed his opinion that this conflict was one Israel sought to avoid. Beginning with the 1993 peace discussions held by former President Bill Clinton between Palestinian leader Yassar Arafat and Israeli prime minister Yitzhak Rabin, he pointed out that Israel desired cooperation with Palestine if there was a clear shift from terrorism to statesmanship.

Horovitz explained that, even then, Israeli trust of Arafat was uncertain.

The uncertainty for Arafat seemed to loom larger, manifesting itself as conflict over the Gaza Strip after conflicts over theWest Bank intensified and the initial peace agreement failed. Horovitz powerfully asserted that it didn’t fail due to conflict over territory or military occupation. What Israel needs to see in order to attain peace, said Horovitz, is some kind of territorial compromise, a Jewish Democratic state of Israel, and a sense that the Palestinians are interested in reconciliation.

Horovitz said emphatically that Israel was not the only party to blame in the matter, and that if it were, the conflict would have been resolved by now. He primarily expressed his conviction that if Palestinian president Yassar Arafat stepped down and the country selected a leader who was openly willing to constitute a peace accord between the two nations, there would be complete Israeli cooperation.

“Israel is desperate for peace,” Horovitz said. “We are on the defense in this conflict. We are trying to protect ourselves as innocent people are being killed.”

He added, “The Israeli government aspires to minimize civilian casualties while successfully defending our people. The Palestinian regime, however, is trying to maximize civilian damage. Instead of hitting military zones, town areas with high concentrations of people are being targeted.”

Horovitz is an award-winning journalist that emigrated from Israel to Britain in 1983. He is primarily known for his work and philosophy about life in Israel. His more famous works include the novel “A Little Too Close To God” and a biography on Rabin

Horovitz illustrated how life in Israel has become increasingly difficult and how the terrorist attacks have changed the way people go about their daily lives. He explained that people in the United States have the freedom to assume that the people around them have the same beliefs, principles, and morals as them.

Yet Israel’s situation is very different in that they have to assume the exact opposite, he said. Many citizens are plagued with the decision of staying and living in danger or leaving their homeland.

Horovitz himself has been dealing with this issue for many years. His answer, for the time being, is that the Jewish people have been running for years and that the future of his homeland depended on the power of the people who were willing to stay and fight.

For Israel, U.S. presence is important in building their sovereignty. President Bush has continued to maintain ties with Israel. However, Horovitz believes this alliance comes with a promise from Ariel Sharon that while America is dealing with the conflict in Iraq, Sharon will not deal with Saddam Hussein.

After the 1991 Saudi attacks on Israel, there has been a certain sense in Israel that Hussein will not go down without using his full capabilities.