School-taught patriotism affects diversity

A University of Wisconsin professor told a DeForest, Wis., audience the troubles with weaving patriotic pride into education.

UW philosophy professor Harry Brighouse’s forum, entitled, “Should we teach patriotism?” was the fourth installment in a six-part series presented by the Center of Humanities, which focuses on contemporary issues. The series is focused on patriotism this year.

Brighouse first discussed the language used in history textbooks. As a native of England, he noted differences between English and American textbooks and discussed how American textbooks use sentiment to discuss history.

One example Brighouse used was a tendency in American textbooks to frequently use the words “we” and “us” to personalize historical events for students.

Brighouse believes patriotism can have different implementations, including “right patriotism” and “wrong patriotism.” Slogans such as “It is an obligation to be patriotic” or “My country, right or wrong” fall into the category of what Brighouse considers “wrong patriotism.”

“There is a deep tension between the ideal that individuals reason for themselves about what is right and wrong and about whether their country and government deserve their support and the practice of teaching patriotism,” Brighouse said.

“I think the ideal is basically correct, so we should abandon the practice that contradicts it.”

For example, Brighouse said schools use symbols, such as the American flag, the “Start-Spangled Banner” and the Pledge of Allegiance, which are not items that figure into his love of America.

“There is love of our country for many reasons. There are lots of different visions of the country, and it’s a right,” Brighouse said. “It is not fair for a part of vision to be pressed down to a school.”

Brighouse said the basic structure of government involves the consent of the people. Brighouse said if the government is teaching the consent, then it is illegitimate.

“If the body which needs the consent manufactures the consent, it no longer confers the legitimacy,” Brighouse said.

“It undermines the ability of citizens to give critical, reasoned consent to the government by indoctrinating consent.”

Some audience members disagreed with Brighouse’s idea and said patriotism needs to be taught or else there will be no patriotism.

Brighouse refuted, saying people will learn to love the country without being taught to do so.

“They will find what they love about it,” Brighouse said.

The patriotism series began in fall 2002 and will continue until March. Other forums include “Origins of American patriotism” and “Patriotism and civility: A literary perspective.”

The series has featured professors and assistant professors in different departments at UW.