Group trying to improve conduct in state government

Legislators and the Harwood Institute of Public Innovation Wednesday introduced the New Patriotism Caucus, which, if implemented, would focus on improving the conduct of state legislators.

The idea was initiated by Rep. Dan Schoof, D-Beloit, and Richard Harwood, president of the Harwood Institute, after they discussed the New Patriotism, a national effort to improve the conduct of citizens, political leaders and news media.

Schoof and Harwood said they then began discussing how they could improve conduct within Wisconsin and proposed the New Patriotism Caucus.

“People are just starting to think about the next legislative session. This is really just a kick off of that,” Schooff said. “This effort [Wednesday] is about the conduct of legislators.”

The caucus has support from former governors Lee Sherman Dreyfus, a Republican, and Anthony S. Earl, a Democrat, as well as six senators and six representatives.

Supporters include Sen. Alberta Darling, R-Menomonee Falls, Sen. Jon Erpenbach, D-Middleton, Sen. Richard Grobschmidt, D-South Milwaukee, Sen. Dave Hansen, D-Green Bay, Sen. Ted Kanvas, R-Waukesha County, Sen. Carol Roessler, R-Oshkosh, Rep. Suzanne Jeskewitz, R-Menomonee Falls, Rep. Terri McCormick, R-Appleton, Rep. Mark Miller, D-Monona, Rep. Luther S. Olsen, R-New Berlin and Rep. Jennifer Shilling, D-LaCrosse.

Harwood said he is happy legislators are taking initiatives to clean up Wisconsin after the recent scandals.

“It would have been real easy for many legislators to hide after these scandals and let this blow over,” Harwood said. “Here you have legislators from both [sides of the] aisle stepping up and saying they can do better and say their conduct needs to improve.”

Michael Remaly, project manager with the Harwood Institute, said he has no specifics yet and does not expect any details until the next legislative session meets in January.

“The most important thing right now is the fact that legislators are coming together across party lines and the two houses in the change of tone and the spirit of cooperation,” Remaly said. “Beyond that, they are going to be meeting in January.”

Schoof said he has heard no opposition about the caucus proposal; however, he said he has not gotten many signatures. Schoof’s goal is to get one-third of the legislators’ signatures by the next legislative session.

Schoof also suggested this is one action Wisconsin legislators will take to restore Wisconsin’s government.

In January, the Legislature will begin discussing new policies about government ethics and campaign financing.

“We are not promising the moon here, we just want to take smaller steps,” Schoof said.

The New Patriotism Caucus is one of several projects in the national effort by Harwood Institute called The New Patriotism Project.

Remaly said the Institute looked at seven communities around the nation more than one year ago. The New Patriotism Project focuses on creating a healthy democracy by holding responsible political leaders, news media and citizens.

“Across America, people have told us they want action on improved political conduct, by politicians, news media and citizens themselves,” Harwood said. “Other states should follow in the footsteps of this groundbreaking effort by Wisconsin leaders.”