Madison Celebrates Halloween

Each year thousands of college students and visitors flock to Madison for Halloween festivities. Traditionally Halloween is celebrated on Oct. 31; however, because Halloween landed midweek this year, students have an excuse to spend an entire week dressed up.

Since last Saturday, University of Wisconsin students and friends have flooded State Street in costume. This fall, students have chosen to impersonate authority figures by wearing sexy police gear, or a slutty nurse uniform. Others have chosen to be Mini-Me from Austin Powers, Sponge Bob, or pop stars, such as Shakira and Britney Spears. Some more outrageous, and even bizarre, picks include penises or the McDonald’s Hamburglar.

Sami Cannizzaro, a UW freshman, said she plans to dress as a girlie version of a Boy Scout.

“I am doing something very novel this year,” Cannizzaro said sarcastically.

Many UW freshmen expressed their excitement about being a part of Halloween in Madison.

“Halloween is different in Madison,” said freshman Jessica Pritikin. “Everyone has been planning this holiday for a long time. I hear Madison goes absolutely insane. I can’t wait.”

In a city as large as Madison, students have a number of options for spending their Halloween weekend.

Many will attend off-campus events at bars, house parties, and fraternities, while others will participate in Halloween parties and activities on campus.

Last night, the Wisconsin Union Directorate held their Global Connections Costume Ball in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Study-abroad and international students dressed in traditional Halloween attire and international costumes and learned how to tango and waltz for free. Party-goers had the opportunity to reunite with old friends, meet new people from around the world, and compete in a costume and door prizes contest.

WUD will sponsor a Radioactive Halloween Party and Costume Contest in Union South Saturday. For $5, students can play unlimited pool, bowling, ping-pong, and enjoy free popcorn.

Sophomore Ashley Nelson laid out her three-night Halloween agenda.

“Thursday night was the night for the bars” Nelson said. “Friday night I am hitting up the frats in search of a hot guy with long hair,” she said. “By Saturday, who knows?”