Local units respond to threat of war

The threat of an impending war with Iraq and the recent activation of the National Guard unit in Oshkosh, Wis., have prompted local National Guard members and reservists to consider the possibility of being activated.

Nearly two months ago, the 157th transportation unit was activated and deployed to Fort Bragg in North Carolina. Since then, the unit has been involved with operations “Noble Eagle” and “Enduring Freedom.”

“Basically, we’re doing the jobs that the active-duty people sent overseas would be doing if they were still here,” said specialist Jennifer Beck, a truck driver in the 157th transportation unit. “Even though most of us are truck drivers, we’ve been training with infantry and special forces.”

Beck said that her unit has been conducting training that reinforces the skills they learned in basic training, such as basic rifle marksmanship and chemical warfare training. These will be vital skills if the unit is sent overseas.

Students who join the Army National Guard or reserves are not deployable until after they have completed their initial entry training. Beck found out she was getting activated at the end of August, just days after she had finished her initial entry training in Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo.

Beck said she planned on starting her junior year at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh until she got the call from her unit.

“When I talk to my friends back home, they complain about homework and school,” Beck said. “I wish I could be stressed out about that stuff.”

Under the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act, soldiers called to active duty do receive some benefits and compensation.

The act states that any lease held by the soldier will be terminated 30 days after the landlord has been notified of his deployment.

It also states that any debts, including credit-card bills and car payments, can be limited to a six percent interest rate if the soldiers’ duties prevent them from making the normal payments.

Also included in the act is the stipulation that the learning institution the soldier attends must hold his enrollment until he returns from active duty.

Oscar Mendez, UW junior and a specialist in the National Guard, said he will be ready if he is called up.

“Like most people, I initially joined for the benefits,” said Mendez. “But I’ve always had a strong sense of pride in serving my country. After the Sept. 11 attacks, I knew that my chances of getting activated were much greater. If I’m called, I will go, but I think the president needs to be absolutely sure of Iraq’s intent to use biochemical warfare against the U.S. before he declares war.”