Palestinian children’s artwork spurs criticism

An art exhibit displayed at a State Street coffee shop sparked criticism from Israeli supporters Wednesday.

Sponsored by the Palestinian Right to Return Coalition, the exhibit at Espresso Royale, 650 State Street, featured drawings made by Palestinian children.

According to coalition chair Sarah Kaisow, the display was brought to Madison “to present a reality and narrative that is silenced within U.S. media and culture.”

But a group of Israeli supporters said the display, which depicts images of violence against Palestinians, was racist.

“My concerns are that this is objectionable art from a place that doesn’t usually display political [messages],” Greg Steinberger, executive director of the student Jewish group Hillel, said. “It’s racist material in the workplace, and I think it was bad decision-making.”

But supporters of the display argued the children who drew the violent pictures live in an environment in which brutality is a routine reality.

“It’s understandable [the children] would have feelings of fear,” Chris Khoury said. “[They] have been living under illegal occupation all their lives. The only experience they have with the Jewish religion is violence.”

Employees of Espresso Royale said they would not take sides on the issue and hoped they could bring the sides together and encourage dialogue. But Steinberger said the images in the coffee shop bothered him so much that he “won’t shop there for some time.” “If racist images are meant to be welcoming, then I don’t want to be there,” Steinberger said. Kaisow said the art display has been touring the country and said the Palestinian Right to Return Coalition sponsored the exhibit as a fundraiser to support Palestinian children. She said the group chose Espresso Royale to host the exhibit because “a lot of students go in there every day.” Steinberger said he received calls and e-mails from many people upset with the display Wednesday. “It’s not about politics,” he said. “It’s about a place many students found welcoming, and all of a sudden it’s not. It’s about making people feel uncomfortable.”