Hillel provides arena for Jewish issues

This semester marked the busiest ever at UW-Madison’s Jewish student organization Hillel.

Organizers recruited acclaimed speakers to address students on a variety of topics, including Holocaust Survivor Elie Wiesel and Rolling Stone Music Editor Joe Levy.

The UW Hillel, one of 110 nationwide, was one of the first to be founded in 1924. The organization has been growing every year, but executive director Greg Steinberger said this semester has seen a dramatic and continuing increase.

“April was our busiest month ever,” he said.

Events this year have included sending students to Cuba and Norfolk, Virginia on alternative break trips and to Washington, D.C. to show support for Israel in the midst of crisis in the Middle East.

Steinberger said more students have shown interest in Hillel events since the resurgence of turmoil in the Middle East.

“Everything going on in Israel made students want to participate,” he said.

Program Associate Josh Schwartz said though it has helped Hillel gain attraction to Jewish students, Mideast conflicts have been felt negatively in Madison.

“There’s been an increased tension on campus,” he said. “It’s not like there’s been swastikas on the door, but there’s a lot of students who have experienced some anti-Semitic stuff.”

Schwartz said Hillel attracts students by the hundreds.

“I know five or six hundred people by face,” he said.

In addition to hosting speakers and engaging in political activism, Hillel holds a variety of entertainment events. The Jewish Theater Project is performing its second play of the year, “Nobody’s Gligui” and students listen to band performances during the numerous “coffeehouses.”

Hillel also serves as a religious forum for students wishing to celebrate Jewish holidays or to learn about modern religious issues.

UW freshman Adam Berman saw Wiesel speak April 16 and said he appreciates having Hillel on campus.

“It’s nice to be able to have a place to celebrate Judaism on campus,” Berman said.

Overall, Schwartz said Hillel has had an active semester.

“A combination of major events and Israel activism made this semester a busy time,” he said.