City officials, Mifflin residents to discuss annual block party

Members of the Madison Police Department will discuss their expectations for Saturday’s Mifflin Street block party with residents of the Mifflin Street neighborhood at a meeting tonight.

Hosted by Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, the meeting will highlight “ground rules” police officers will enforce during the annual block party.

Verveer said the nature of the party has changed since the celebration turned into a riot in 1996, and he stressed the importance of residents understanding the city’s expectations.

As a compromise Verveer made with the MPD after a petition by residents to block off the street from traffic for a portion of the day was denied, partiers this year will be allowed in the street for activities like playing Frisbee and tossing footballs.

However, alcohol will still be prohibited on the street and sidewalks.

“The party has turned from a Mifflin Street block party to a Mifflin Street porch party,” Verveer said.

Verveer said officers in recent years have not aggressively enforced the noise ordinance and have allowed music, provided by bands, deejays and stereos, on the street until dark. He also said officers would not check on individual parties unless the guests “draw attention to themselves.”

“Police have been understanding about private parties on private property,” he said.

To ensure a safe and successful party, Verveer discouraged non-neighborhood residents from visiting the street on Saturday.

“Mifflin Street block party needs to remain an event for the neighborhood’s residents and friends,” he said. “There is no reason for people who have no connection to the street to check out the party. There is no reason why residents and their friends can’t have an awesome time.”

The Mifflin Street block party meeting will be held tonight at 7 p.m. in the Madison Senior Center, 330 Mifflin St.