Body found at Picnic Point

Thunder, lightning and police tape interrupted the typical tranquility of Picnic Point when police found a body in the wooded area Thursday evening.

The UW Police Department was called to the scene at 6:14 p.m. because of a call reporting a possible death. On officers’ arrival, the body of an 18-year-old male was found approximately 100 yards from the base of the peninsula.

Approximately eight police cars surrounded Picnic Point and cordoned off the nature trail to joggers and bikers.

The Madison Fire Department arrived later on the scene and entered the area to retrieve the body carrying ladders. Police do not expect the death was a homicide but the investigation continues.

“We are not suspecting foul play. We arrived on the scene at 6:14, and we located the body approximately 100 yards into the point in a wooded area,” Lt. William Larson of the UW Police said.

Larson said the man was not a UW student.

“The deceased had no UW affiliation,” Larson said.

No further information regarding the identity of the man was available. Police said the man’s next of kin must first be notified before his name can be released.

The cause of death was not available at press time.