Officials suspect Sellery resident has meningitis

UW-Madison freshman Kelly Lynn Steinborn is in stable condition at Meriter Hospital after contracting what officials suspect is meningococcal disease. Her family was told she had bacterial meningitis, and the next 24 hours are critical, but test results had not been confirmed as of press time.

Weeks of fluctuating fever and vomiting culminated Wednesday morning when Steinborn’s flu-like condition worsened drastically, and she was rushed to University Health Services and then to Meriter Hospital for a spinal tap, according to her older brother. UW junior Mike Steinborn said his younger sister, a resident of the fifth floor of Sellery Hall, was “not doing so good” in intensive care Wednesday afternoon. He was one of the only visitors allowed to see her.

Several Sellery residents were vaccinated Wednesday with Cipro, the same antibiotic used to treat Anthrax, as were Steinborn’s friends and family. The one-time antibiotic is being given as a preventative measure, because meningococcal disease is not highly contagious.

The type of meningitis Steinborn contracted is extremely rare; one or two UW-Madison students contract the illness each year. Because it is only spread through saliva or direct personal contact, classmates or acquaintances need not worry, said UHS director of clinical services Scott Spear.

Typical symptoms of meningococcal disease, which has a 10 percent mortality rate, include: a fever of more than 101 degrees, severe, sudden headache, accompanied by mental instability, neck or back stiffness, and rashes.

UHS epidemologist Craig Roberts prescribed Cipro to five UW students who had been in intimate contact with Steinborn, but said due to the nature of the bacteria, there is no risk to the general UW population.

“In general, people should not be alarmed; this is not really a concern for students at all,” he said.

The last case of meningococcal disease at UW infected a female resident of private residence hall The Towers, 502 N. Frances St., in December 2000.

Health officials told Steinborn’s brother although she has been sick for weeks, it is likely she contracted the meningitis very recently.

“I don’t know what to think; she’s not on her wits right now,” her brother said Wednesday afternoon, before rushing back to Meriter. “If she didn’t go in this morning and get medication right away ? I can’t even imagine.”

The cause of Steinborn’s case is unknown, just as most cases of meningitis puzzle experts. The bacteria that cause meningitis are very common in populations in general, according to UHS. At any time, 10 to 15 percent of the population have the bacteria.
“Most people who carry it ? all of us have carried it at some time,” but “no one really knows why one person will develop the illness and others don’t,” Roberts said.