Bassett-area developments discussed

City officials are seeking residents’ help in finalizing plans for developments in the Bassett neighborhood.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, is hosting a neighborhood meeting tonight for any resident interested in giving suggestions for the construction proposals. He said he requires all developers to meet with neighbors prior to any city vote. All developers and architects will be present at the meeting.

In what developer Todd McGrath of McGrath Associates called “the first step in approval” for the projects, the meeting will highlight plans for residential, commercial and parking developments.

Verveer said four major projects have been proposed for the area, including two new four-story loft-style buildings that would face front on West Main and West Doty Streets.

McGrath said the development would include 80 owner-occupied condominium units sitting above an underground parking facility with 105 spaces. Both buildings would surround a landscaped courtyard and possibly house commercial property on the first floor. Planning for construction to begin in September 2002, McGrath said his firm also has plans for the historic Doris Farmhouse — one of the oldest properties on the street.

“We are planning to completely restore that building,” McGrath said. “But we would remove a 20th century addition to the building and some garages.”

McGrath, along with two other developers, plans to create a landscaped central parking court on the 300 block of West Wilson Street as the second phase of an overall plan for the block. The parking plan includes 18 new garages and 16 parking spaces and was proposed to facilitate the marketing of several properties on the 300 block, Verveer said. Construction would require properties at 330 W. Wilson St. and 218 S. Henry St. to be demolished.

If the city approves the plan, McGrath said he hopes to begin construction of the parking development as soon as this summer.

A proposed three-story commercial and residential building and a five-story residential building — both planned for 536 W. Washington Ave. — will also be discussed at the meeting. This plan, developed by the Keller Real Estate Group, proposes the buildings consist of one- and two-bedroom apartments, street-level commercial space and 31 underground and 20 surface parking spaces.

The historic buildings at 540 and 544 W. Washington Ave. would remain and be enhanced, but a two-story house at 534 W. Washington Ave. would be removed. Developers Joe Krupp and Alex Villacrez are also proposing a 28-unit complex consisting of one- and two-bedroom apartments including 27 underground parking spaces for 544 W. Main St. The existing house at the location would be removed. Verveer said he encourages all interested people to attend the meeting and voice concerns.

“Each of the projects has the potential for controversy because of the demolition,” he said.

Despite the possible controversy, Verveer said he generally supports all four of the projects but he said he wants to present the details to the public.

Verveer said it is likely there will be a second neighborhood meeting prior to a vote. The meeting will be held tonight at 7:00 p.m. in Meriter Terraces, 345 W. Main St.