Powell elected to City Council in squeaker

In a close election for the District 5 city council seat, incumbent Ald. Tom Powell defeated Ron Rosner by 39 votes Tuesday.

Although Powell’s decision to run for the position drew criticism due to his initial statement that he would not run in Tuesday’s special election, Powell drew 504 votes as opposed to Rosner’s 465.

The election was called to fill the position Powell took on an interim basis after Jessy Tolkan resigned last spring following a lawsuit questioning her residency in the district.

Powell said he would continue to work on issues he feels are important to students, such as affordable housing, housing discrimination and mass transportation.

“I’m basically going to keep doing what I’m doing,” Powell said. “Housing issues are some of the most important issues in the city for students, and commuter rail to bring in students from outside the city is also important.”

Student-oriented issues such as housing and drinking highlighted the campaigns of both candidates who competed for the seat in a district that paired a student constituency with single-family home neighborhoods.

Both candidates said balancing the concerns of both groups would be a challenge for the winner, but Powell said he is confident he can represent both constituencies effectively.

“I can relate to students,” he said. “I want students to feel free to call up and give me a ring.”

Attempts to contact Rosner Tuesday night were unsuccessful following the release of the election results.