MPD searching for stolen squad car

An unmarked Madison Police Department squad car was reported stolen Monday after officers took the vehicle to a local car dealership for repairs.

The vehicle was serviced at Capitol Ford on the East Side and was parked outside the establishment around 11:30 a.m., employees of the car dealership said.

When MPD employees arrived to pick up the car, it was gone.

MPD said the vehicle contained “various police equipment” that was feared stolen, but public information officer Larry Kamholz could not disclose the exact types of equipment.

The squad car is described as a four-door dark blue 2000 Ford Crowne Victoria. It has a small black siren and siren guard on the front grill, numerous red and blue lights in the front and back windows, a steel prisoner barrier separating the front and back seat, and radar and camera equipment on the front dash and in the back window.

The left rear taillight has the number 131 written in blue.

Kamholz said Tuesday the department had no leads as to the whereabouts of the stolen vehicle.

“Right now, we have nothing,” he said. “There have been no tips.”

The FBI, law enforcement agencies and National Criminal Computer system were notified of the possible theft.

Anyone with information about the incident is urged to contact any law enforcement agency.