Applications for dean search committee now available

Associated Students of Madison is now accepting applications for students who wish to serve on the Search and Screen Committee to hire a new dean of students.

The position has been open since Alicia Chavez resigned Jan. 11 to pursue a full-time faculty position.

Five seats on the committee are open to students, who will have representation equal to that of faculty and staff. Paul Barrows, vice chancellor of student affairs, said this process will be similar to the search for the last dean.

“We don’t plan on doing anything differently,” he said. “Things worked out fine last time.”

Applications are available on the ASM website (www.asm.wisc.edu), and hard copies are available outside the ASM office, 511 Memorial Union. The application deadline is Monday, Feb. 5 at 5 p.m.

Bryan Gadow, ASM’s shared governance chair, said the committee will be looking for students active in campus life.

“We want someone who knows what is going on and who can give good representation,” Gadow said. “We want someone who is well rounded.”

Gadow also said they are looking for someone who has experience with or is educated about the dean of students office.

“I’m not asking that they work on the staff, just that they know what the job requires,” he said.

The list of students selected for the committee will be announced Feb. 7.

ASM Chair Jessica Miller strongly encouraged students to apply.

“It’s by far one of the most important committees we put students on,” she said. “The dean of students does things that affect students on a daily basis.”